adjusting sights on Colt SAA

Jack Straw

I have found a load that my Colt SAA really likes but it prints a little to the left. I know that tightening the barrel will move the front sight, but how do I clamp the barrel without hurting the finish (or the barrel itself)?

Thanks
Jack

Jim V

Would it not be a bit easier to slightly bend the front sight? Turning the barrel may cause problems with the ejector housing.

------------------
1911's forever, or at least until they come up with a hand held electronic rail gun.
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Jack, the best way to do it is to file a little off of the right hand side of the front sight. You can also widen the rear notch to the right. George

Gunslinger

Jack, the prescribed (common) method is to use a barrel vise after first removing the ejector assembly. Since most of us don't have an actual barrel vise you can use soft lead in a standard vise and cover it with leather as you tighten it down on the barrel. Remove the cylinder and place the barrel securely in the vise. Once you have the barrel secure use a wooden block that fits snug inside the frame where the cylinder was housed. Since it is shooting left you will want to rotate the barrel clockwise as viewing it from the muzzle. It takes very little movement to change the point of aim. Check it often and do not over tighten.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!