Adjustable rear sight for Government slide

HighValleyRanch

Looking for replacement sights for a series 70 government slide.
It had a Bomar rib and target sights and the screws sheared off, so now I am just going to replace that with standard iron sights.

The front is a narrow tenon, I know that.
So the rear must be the smaller GI dovetail?

I find regular military type sights, but would like to find a taller front sight and adjustable rear sight for this pistol.

Any help on the dovetail size because in my search it looks confusing all the possible dovetail sizes. I don't want to have the dovetail recut.

LPA makes an adjustable rear sight (two, actually, choice dependent on front sight) that fits the GI dovetail. Brownells sells them. But if the gun has a Bomar sight installed, it's probably not a GI dovetail. You'll have to push out the old sight and measure to confirm the dovetail dimension.

HighValleyRanch

It had a Bomar RIB attached with screws to the top of the slide, not the Bomar sight in the dovetail. There is no old sight. I might be able to fit a shim in there and then slide it out and measure the shim to see the size of the base of the dovetail.

But thanks, I will check out the LPA sight for the GI dovetail.
But do you have to have a taller front sight than the stock rounded front sight?

Last edited:

Jim Watson

Shot a Bomar ribbed gun with hardball or +P?

There are two LPA sights that fit the GI dovetail. One of them is extra low to use the stock front sight, one calls for a taller front. Since you will have to install a new front, I recommend the taller version; easier to see. I had one of those low low sights, LPA with a Pachmayr trademark, and it was usable, but I went to a higher profile set as soon as my gunsmith got set up for it.

Even though you do not wish to cut a new rear dovetail, I recommend a cross dovetail front, it is more secure and there are a lot more choices in height and style.

HighValleyRanch

The gun was setup for hardball, but I was only shooting my bullseye target semi wadcutters at the time that it sheared off. Hit me in the forehead!LOL

Thanks, I will check those out.

HighValleyRanch said:
But thanks, I will check out the LPA sight for the GI dovetail.
But do you have to have a taller front sight than the stock rounded front sight?
No, but which rounded front sight you have makes a difference.

Call Brownells and ask to talk to one of the gunsmiths about which LPS sight you will need. Before calling, measure the height of your front sight above the top surface of the slide.

rock185

FWIW, If I wanted adjustables after the rib sheared off, I'd just have the slide machined for a Bomar style rear and dovetailed front. That set up will stay, and give the excellent sight picture you had with the Bomar rib....

RickB

Are there any "tall" front sights that fit a narrow-tenon slide?
I know there used to be, but as we're 35 years beyond introduction of the wide tenon, you might just have to do some cutting.