Adjustable Pads and Stocks....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I've had a few queries on these lately, a good thing. If people are trying to get their shotguns fitting better, a very good thing.

Here goes....

The first adjustable pad that was widely marketed was the Morgan. It allowed about an inch more drop if needed and could be skewed to better fit the shoulder pocket. I had two and liked them until I tried a Jones.

The Jones has another half inch of drop available, is easier to twist fit and was,in this case, fitted to the stock and had a KickEez Magnum pad left untrimmed on it. This made that 870TB the most kickless pump you ever saw.

Upside, these can get your stock better fitting you. Downside,besides expense, these add weight all the way back and change the swing dynamics.

And, sometimes they come unstuck and "adjust" themselves, usually in the middle of a shootoff.

Some recoil devices that fit into stocks like the Gra Coil have adjustable whatevers, but the primary mission is recoil attenuation.

NeXt, adjustable combs....

These consist of a separate comb, sometimes sawed out of a stock, and hardware that allows one to A, raise and lower it, B,to add cast on or cast off and C, to elevate the rear part of the comb so the whole thing lies parallel to the sighting plane. On that last, that means the relationship between the eye and sighting plane stays the same regardless of clothing or shot angle.

Downsides, expense, weight and these also come adrift.

And stocks.....

First, the military AR style. These oft find favor on defensive guns, but while they work well on small caliber rifles, they are hard to get a good sight picture with unless one has also elevated sights like the M 16.

And, most have butts on the small side. Exacerbated kick results. Still, for those with lots of experience on them, they may be viable. Expect some bruising.

And then there's the Precision Fit stocks. These are all plastic and space age alloys, are adjustable in all dimensions and have interchangeable weights to get the balance just like you want it.

One model has a recoil attenuation device,one is merely fully adjustable. Both are quite expensive, but used ones are frequently available. This is due to the practice of mounting one on a target gun, getting everything right and then having the dimensions copied in fine wood.

We know our "Fit" is correct when we're hitting most of what we want to and doing so in comfort. These devices can help someone greatly OR suck out discretionary income without an upside.

One has to overcome the temptation to fiddle when a slump occurs. Best to just shoot through the slump and leave the Allen wrenches alone.

Get things right, Blue Locktite the bolts and go shoot it.....

Stevie-Ray

My Mossberg 930 SPX has an adjustable stock and I changed it to fit me. It's rather funny how some people pick one up and later report that "The sights are on friggen stilts" and "there's no way you're gonna get a proper cheekweld on those," without trying one that was properly adjusted.:rolleyes:

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
"Properly" is the key, Stevie Ray. Patterning is the method we can use to dial things in. That's true whether it's a GP shotgun, a bird gun, a clays crusher or a things that go bump in the night standby.

101, I'm not seeing the connection, care to explain?

Drummer101

Both my Beretta and 870 need to be adjusted and right now I was planning on selling them to the Pawn shop to get a Benelli M2 (plus cash and a bike).

But if I can attach one of the adjustable pads to my guns then I could save some money and have a good fit.

I just need to find out if there is a way to attach to a hollow synthetic stock (that is on both of them).

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
101, Jack West stocks are for 870s and 1100s,etc. Adjustable combs and pads on synthetic stocks. About $200 plus S&H. I've shot them on other shooters' guns. Good stuff.

Jack's a helpful sort. Ask him even if you're not buying and he'll help you out.

Drummer101

I will look him up.

Edit, just did. The biggest thing I need is drop and that one is $400 :(
Buy a new gun for that much.

Looking at Morgan hey wont fit on either of my shotguns, the screw distance does not match either.

Last edited:

BigJimP

A buddy of mine has had Jack West do all his stock work over the last 30 yrs or so .....and this product the Klawman linked ...is a very good product / and very reasonably priced, in my view.

I don't personally own any Remington shotguns....but my buddy has a few of them ....and they're durable and well built / and work as advertised.

Drummer101

Talked to Jones, very good guy.

Very good news.

He thinks that his pad will fit and it should be prefect. Hope to order the pad in the next week or 2 (work starts Monday and want a little money in my pocket first) :D

Getting for the Beretta
The E-Z to Install Pad Adjuster
and the pad: 302-5-M – 1 7/8” x 5 1/4” x 1/2”