Adjust poi on an old colt revolver

tangolima

After quite a bit of work, my colt new army DA in 41 LC finally shoots great. Now I need to do something about its poi. It is 4" to the left at 15 yards. The sights are not adjustable. The front sight is a simple fixed blade, while the rear is a groove on the top strap. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-TL

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Colt factory "adjusted" windage on those guns by turning the barrel in or out to move the front sight, something I suggest you not do. Given that the gun is old, may have more or less collector value, and trying to "fix" it could do harm, I suggest you live with it and hold off that 4" distance.

My personal experience with the New Army/Navy in .41 Colt is that they, like the DA .41 "Thunderer", are nasty kickers, so I maybe you won't be firing it a lot anyway.

Jim

tangolima

Thanks James. I was thinking the same, and realize I might have to live with it. Just want to confirm with folks in the know.

I am currently hand loading with the puffy trail boss. Full case of 5gr give less than 700fps, so the kick is not too bad.

-TL

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just FWIW, I am sure you know that the .41 was a civilian caliber; all the military contract guns were in .38.

Jim

James K is right about adjusting the POI on those older guns. We were taught to slam them against the workbench. :eek: Definitely do not try this at home. Leave it be.

tangolima

James K is right about adjusting the POI on those older guns. We were taught to slam them against the workbench. :eek: Definitely do not try this at home. Leave it be.
That's how a pistolsmith works on a revolver. Sometimes he just beat it into submission with a barbett. No I won't be doing that, unless I have one too much drink of whisky.

-TL

James K

Member In Memoriam
Gary, do you mean you actually adjusted point of impact by bending the barrel or even bending the frame by slamming the gun against the workbench? I am shocked, I tell you, shocked! I used a lead hammer. ;)

Jim

jcj54

fixed sight revolver

Adjust windage by bending front sight opposite direction you need to move impact.

tangolima

Adjust windage by bending front sight opposite direction you need to move impact.
I thought of that. But I am afraid the whole may snap off. It is the front sight welded on or integral to the barrel? I feel safer to bend if it is the latter. Thanks.

-TL

James K

Member In Memoriam
Like all the Colts, the front sight is just press fitted into the slot. Most people think they are soldered, but the ones I have had to remove weren't.

Jim

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
Jim's correct. They are pressed in a slot similar to a Woodruff Key. High Standard did the same thing on their .22 revolvers years ago. They're not that hard to pull out, either.

tangolima

So the front sight can be pushed. Why do they adjusted the poi in the factory by changing barrel indexing in the frame?

-TL

James K

Member In Memoriam
The front sight can't "be pushed"; it is not in a dovetail, it is inset into a lengthwise slot cut into the barrel. Trying to "push" it will either bend it, or knock it out of the slot, or both.

Again, you will be best advised to just live with the 4 inches. The gun is not a target gun and using one of those delicate old guns for serious purposes would not be a great idea.

Jim

tangolima

I don't drink, so I won't be trying to correct the poi. ;). Just a bit puzzled by the new information. Apparently I misunderstood what you guys were saying. The sight doesn't look pushable.

It is wise to leave it the way it is. Not intend to use it for anything serious either. It is a fun toy. Thanks gentlemen.

-TL