Adding a couple of revolvers

Wildshot

Revolvers are my favorite type of firm arm. Mostly .22’s and .357’s. I like heavy guns with steel frames. Went to the gun show last month looking to add one each to my arsenal. For the 357, I was looking for a short barrel and thinking a Rhino might fill the bill. There was one at the show. They look heavy but they are not. So I crossed it off my list.
I have a 22 single action and was looking for a DA/SA. Mainly because I don’t like the time it takes to load and to remove the spent shells on a SA. I found an H&R 999 claimed to be never used. It looked like it has never been shot. They strap the guns at the show so it was not possible to try the trigger. The show was shutting down so I bought the gun and took it home where I found the gun could not be cocked and the trigger would not pull the hammer all the way back. Thought about taking it back or calling the guy but I really wanted the gun. So I took it apart to find that the sear was corroded in place. It took 35 minutes to get it out without causing any damage. Removed all the corrosion from the sear and the pocket it sat in. The only unusable part ended up being the sear spring. Ordered one from Numrich. As of today the gun is fully functional. Really cheap fix. Here are a couple of pictures.

Another gun show this week-end and since I have 2 longer barreled 357’s the hunt for a short barrel 357 continues.

Attachments

• HR-B.jpg
    HR-B.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 47
  • HR.jpg
    HR.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 41

Scharfschuetzer

Those photos brings back memories of my 999. I wish I would have kept it, but I let it go after buying a Model 17 (K Frame S&W) in .22RF. Now I have neither and wish I had both.

As a field gun, the 999 was a great pistol. With its almost instantaneous ejection, like a Webly, nine round capacity and long sight radius, it was a plinker's dream.

Great gunsmithing work. Who would have thought that it would have rusted inside like that as it looks "as advertized" on the exterior.

Last edited: