Added a 3" to the Collection

David the Gnome

I went into my local gun shop today because it was pay day and I wanted to see what a quick look through the used cases might turn up. I was looking for a nice older Smith & Wesson to round out my collection, but I saw this Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum with the 3" barrel and couldn't say no. Lock up is good and tight and the gun is very clean. The only place I was able to find any dirt was underneath the grip where some lint had managed to find its way in. The gun can't have been shot much, there was little to no gun powder residue on the cone or anywhere on the cylinder. I figure it's a Ruger so there shouldn't be any worries with reliability or problems, and if there are Ruger will make it right.

The only plans for the gun will be a nice set of wood grips for it, most likely some Hogues. I might swap out the front sight for something a little more high-visibility, but the factory sights are really good for fixed sights so that isn't a high priority.

I also just realized this makes my 6th Ruger firearm, 3 revolvers, 2 semi-autos, and one rifle. I guess I like Ruger more than I realized. :D

David the Gnome

Well that didn't take long, lol...

Just added a Hogue Mono-Grip in rubber. Made a huge improvement in the feel of the grip. It slimmed up the sides but it added some length to the bottom of the grip. Should be great for the range but these are a little too grippy for carry.

Amendtwo

The 3" Ruger is a good choice. I added Uncle Mike's boot grips on my SP101, but actually prefer the factory grips. More comfortable shooting, and as you noted, they provide an edge in concealment compared to more "tacky" material.