ACR Slam Fires .223 ammo - Repaired

IXLR8

You will have to look in the closed post for the details.
Original thread

Here is the official reply from Bushmaster directly from the repair ticket. It took 2 weeks to get an RMA# and exactly 2 weeks to send, and receive back my rifle from repair.

Repair Notes:
D101.1
D140
ADJUSTED FIRE CONTROL GROUP. BOLT HAD A SMALL CHIP BY CAM PIN. EXCHANGED BOLT ASSEMBLY AS WELL. TEST FIRED OK 90 ROUNDS WITH NO MALFUNCTION.

I have not fired it since receiving it today. I will give a range report this weekend.

IXLR8

Resolved

Range report:

I took the repaired ACR to the range. I tried 5 types of .223, and a few boxes of 5.56, without any problems. Today at least 200 rounds of several different types were fired without any feed problem or failure. It appears as though there was a repairable problem, and Bushmaster repaired it to my satisfaction.

I shot 3 types of Hornaday ammo, Remington, Winchester, and some surplus.

Zak Smith

Kind of anticlimactic after all the resistance to sending it in in the other thread
The Bolt does not appear to have any damage or wear. The bolt face moves smoothly in and out of the bolt. When in the retracted position, the firing pin is fully retracted (by a spring). I removed the firing pin and inspected it. It had a little bit of gunpowder residue on it and a little rem oil that sprayed on the action before firing it, but wiped clean without anything but a clean rag. The spring was intact and very clean. There were not any nicks or abrasions on any parts that were inspected. All parts moved freely. Before and after assembly I checked the operation of the firing pin by pressing the back of it while in the BCG. It moved freely and returned to position without assistance. The recoil spring was clean, and moved freely along the axis of compression. The was not any visible grease on any parts. The locking ring on the barrel was clean and free of debris.

By all appearances everything is as it should be. Since I do not have the specifications for the springs, I could not test to see if they had the proper compression force. When the action was reassembled, I cycled the action several times and it appeared to operate correctly. The action has a positive feel and the trigger has an amazingly crisp breakover. I recall being amazed at the lack of play in the trigger, it has truly an awesome feel.

If requested I will photobucket the pictures of the BCG in various states of diassembly. I am sure you will want the high resolution pics to verify my observations. Unless someone has a better way to post a 800meg picture.

At this point I am not sure what Bushmaster can do. The weapon appears to meet the operational design.

LaserSpot

Kind of anticlimactic after all the resistance to sending it in in the other thread
There was nothing wrong with him trying to understand the problem for the benefit of other ACR owners and his own peace-of-mind. Now that the mysterious factory "adjustment" has been applied, only Bushmaster knows what the issue was. Some people have more curiosity than you, and less paranoia.

Zak Smith

Perhaps, however speculation based on misunderstanding of rifle
operating principles wasn't getting him anywhere.

LaserSpot

Apparently there WAS a problem with a small batch of ACR's
Apparently there IS a problem with all Bushmaster ACR rifles; they want them ALL back.

"During routing test firing, Bushmaster discovered a design flaw which could result..."
I suspect that this would be more accurate: "During the investigation of irate customer complaints, Bushmaster discovered a design flaw which could result..."

LaserSpot

I hope that they only go full auto when the trigger is pulled: you will have a good grip and have the rifle pointed at the target. IXLR8's rifle slam-fired once when the bolt was released and also fired three rounds full-auto with one trigger pull; he didn't report more than one shot being fired without the trigger. A full-auto mag dump would be hard to control if you just let go of the bolt and you're only holding the rifle by its forestock.