Accurizing a Ruger GP100

AA

I have owned/sold a couple of Ruger Gp100s over the last 10 years finding they just could not match in accuracy my S&W 686+, even though the 686+ has a 3" barrel. I know they are not necessarily target guns, but they do have adj sights in the 4" Rugers. My first GP100 had to go to a gunsmith to get the trigger worked on, and my second Ruger (bought used) had been to a smith for trigger work.
Anyway, has anyone ever gotten this model to be really dialed in as good as an S&W? Would Wolf<?> springs make for better dbl action accuracy? Wouldn't mind adding another GP141 to the inventory at this time. I do like the ruggedness of construction of this gun, and it handles all.357s with ease.
BTW, went to the Sacramento Gun Show today and saw 1/10 of the normal handguns for sale.

mikey357

AA-as far as pure mechanical accuracy goes, a reduced power mainspring will NOT make the gun any more accurate...but it MAY enable you to FIRE it more accurately, esp. in DA mode. For a good idea of what CAN be done to improve your revo's accuracy...and what it would cost...check out Jim Stroh's website at http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com I've used his services several times and have been VERY pleased!!! Good Luck!!!....mikey357

mtnbkr

I have a GP100 in SS with the 4" barrel. When it was stock, it shot as well as any S&W I has shot (in my hands, no telling what a Ransom Rest would show).

I've replaced the grips (that helped my shooting some), the sights, the springs (lighter ones from Wolf). I stoned the action a bit as well. That made a huge difference in my shooting ability, especially DA which I use exclusively now.

A few months ago, I sent it off to Jim Stroh at Alphaprecision. He did a Taylor Throat, new forcing cone, and recrown (he suggest the last two anytime he does a Taylor Throat). I also had him tighten the BC gap and remove the small amount of endshake it had.

The result was a gun that I can use to hit an 8" target at 100yds (measured) offhand, shooting DA.

Load: 180gr Rem SJHP 14gr H110, mag primer

Chris

WESHOOT2

chris,

try same bullet (finish with Redding Profile Crimp die) over N110 or 3N37. Use CCI550.

My pair of 4" (basically stock) GP100's both do 4" at 100 yards. Same bullet, Vihta powder....and the Redding...

Stroh is good, MagnaPort, Weigand, and Bowen, AP&W, and others.....choices!

mtnbkr

WESHOOT2,

I'll keep an eye out for the powders next time I buy. Can't use the CCI 550s because of the light springs I use. My gun can only pop them about 70% of the time. Any other primer is 100% (so far). Not an issue since this is my fun/short range hunting gun. I'll have to check out the Redding die. Right now, I'm using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Regarding accuracy, I'm sure the gun itself can do better, but 8" at 100yds is the best I can do.

Chris

scoops

i have a 6 inch SS GP-100.I HAVE INSTALLED A WOLF SPRING KIT . and a pachmar decelorator grip.this gun was very acurate before but with the more comfortable grip and the stigger return spring reduced from 14 lbs to 8 lbs,and the hammer return spring reduced from 14lbs doun tho 8,wow what a difference .it will still fire even heavy hunting loads first time,never a missfire like you might think from spring weight reduction.the hammer and trigger are like butter now.spring kit from wolf 10 bucks.

mtnbkr

Scoops,

Are you using CCI primed handloads? I don't have any problems with factory ammo or any reloads using primers other than CCI. CCI primers are the hardest ones on the market (to my knowledge). Those are the only ones I had trouble with. If you can pop CCI component primers (the ones you buy for reloading), then you're golden. If mine would do that, I'd just stick with CCI.

Chris