accurate 22

hi there.
i am wanting to buy a new bolt action 22lr for hunting purposes, possibly a bit of target shooting to.
what would be the most accurate sports 22lr be?
im looking at Cz and anschutz at the moment, am i on the right track?
also what sort of accuracy could i expect, and what sort of realistic range could i push it out to?
thanks

adn258

Hello friend, really it depends on how much you want to spend. The CZ American IS DEFINITELY a very good CHOICE. It's a little Pricey but I have seen them around for 700. Keep open eyes out for a good deal on sites that sell guns - I would recommend staying away from sites that allow bidding as you are LESS likely to quickly tap a good deal. Stick with sites that allow classifieds.

That being said what are the hunting laws in your state? I apologize for the ignorance; I know A LOT about guns and gun types, but little about hunting since it's something I don't do. For accuracy I really love my assault riffle S&W M&P 15-22 WHICH IS based on the AR-15 design, easy to clean, and accurate. Since it is based on the Ar-15 reliability is good so long as it's kept clean.

The 15-22 has a 25 round clip; is that illegal for hunting? I believe DON'T so; again I apologize it's something I know little about. The CZ American rifle though is about the best I think you can get without spending some serious money. It's even more accurate than the 15-22 and I believe that it's good for about 100 YARDS, which for a 22 is awesome.

My Advice in short: Go For the CZ American, unless your state allows for hunting with guns like the M&P 15-22, depending on laws,hunting laws,what you are hunting etc. etc..

Peace

Jezz

for the money you cant go past CZ. I have a 452 American or a Classic special as it is known in Australia (exact same thing).

I manly use mine for hunting foxes and rabbits and i shoot a 40 shot rifle event once a month with it. i love it, wouldn't sell it EVER

will shoot a 5shot group that can be covered by a 20cent coin and even a 10 cent with the right ammo at 50yards.

Only compalint was the trigger, had a lot of creep and a high pull. Easy fix though with the "yoDave" trigger kit off ebay. $20 bucks Aus including post and now it has one of the nicest triggers iv ever shot. there are a few other modifications you can do like new springs and screws to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of ur rifle.

Head over to www.rimfirecentral.com, has alot of informations all types of rimfire makes, Including CZ and anschutz forums. all the information you could ever want to know is there. Thats where i went:D

Only other brand id half consider is Savage, they have a few good offering but for the money id buy the CZ 452 American or 452 Varmit (heavy Barrel). A CZ will last you a life time if you look after her :)

As for hunting ranges, i say 100m max. can still get a clean kill with the right ammo. but that said iv seen a fox shot with a .22 at 160m. but that was a head shot. depends on what you plan to hunt

Last edited:

smith357

For hunting any good 22 should do, all the new offerings should easily shoot minute of squirrel. If you want to shoot targets too then a nice used Anschutz 164 sporter can be had for just a bit more than the CZ and has a much better fully adjustable trigger. Buy the time you upgrade the rigger in the CZ the Annie 164 will cost about the same and still have the better trigger.

mikejonestkd

The CZ 452 and the 453 ( $400 - $475) are excellent choices if you have the money for them, but don't discount the marlin and savage bolt rifles ( $200 - $350). They may not have the same fit, finish or curb appeal but they sure can shoot.

My uncle has a savage MK2 classic and it is well worth the $450 he paid for it.

For the money an Annie 1416 is a fantastic rifle for about $800 new.

All of them are well made and will last a lifetime.

jmr40

My CZ American shoots about as good as I am able to. A better shot may be able to take advantage of a more accurate rifle. Mine averages under 1/2" at 50 yards. The American costs a little more than some of the other versions, but I think it is worth it. My brother has the Varmit. They are nice as well.

Maybe prices have gone up a lot, but I only paid $289 for my CZ just a few years ago.

kx592

I would say savage Mark II series, I have the baseline wood one for 200$ with Bushnell scope and hit a glue bottle at 200 yards in wind, took 3 shots compensating for elevation

aarondhgraham

I'm surprised nobody says Henry,,,

I know it's just a single-shot,,,
But in the right hands (not mine),,,
My Accubolt is an extremely accurate rifle.

I take my friends 13 year old son shooting,,,
Last summer he was dropping almost every shot into a 2" circle at 150 yards.

That's off a bench of course,,,
But the rifle seems consistently accurate.

Having never handled a CZ,,,
Are they more accurate than that?

I'm really not trolling for an argument here,,,
I'm asking for factual information. :)

For accuracy and consistency,,,
How well does a Henry Accubolt compare to a CZ?

I think we all want our purchase decisions to be ratified by other shooters,,,
I'm extremely happy with my Henry as it is more accurate than I am,,,
I really would be interested in knowing it's relative ranking.

Any educated opinions?

Last edited:

Jezz

aarondhgraham

Id say that in the right hands, there would be a few diffrent makes of .22lr rifle that could do that.

Iv Seen pics on rimfire central of Savage, CZ, and Anschutz Makes shooting those kind of groups at 150 and even a bit past. In short id say yes. if your CZ is a tack driver, you use whatever ammo it fancys the most, and give it to someone who knows how to shoot then yeah it would do it easily i recon. (only shoot to 100m myself, thats how big my range goes to so iv never done it with mine)

Techsan

I picked up a CZ 452 American a couple of weeks ago on sale for $389. Can't comment on accuracy since I haven't been able to shake away to shoot it, but it's a pretty little gun. I too suggest you check out rimfirecentral.com, there's a wealth of info on that site.

Bamashooter

my Savage MkII is very accurate. my Henry lever action is very accurate. my Ruger 10/22 isnt as accurate, but it's alot more fun to shoot. dont especially care for a CZ. savage is as good a shooter as a CZ, in my opinion..:)

Blue Grass

I bought a CZ 452 Ultra Lux (28.6" barrel) earlier this year. It's by far the most accurate .22LR I've ever owned. If you decide on a CZ 452, get one soon. They're being phased out and replaced by the CZ 455. I've heard mixed reviews on this new model.

RimfireChris

The Marlin rifles are very nice too, and very affordable. I used to have a .22 magnum-982 I think was the model number, and I currently own a 981TS, wich, as several people have said, is more accurate than I am. At under $300 they won't break the bank. That said, the CZ's are extremly nice and in fact a 452FS in .22mag is probably gonna be my next aquisition, if I can sneak it past the Missus;) Another one to consider is the Ruger 17/22. A buddy of mine had one and I found it to be very accurate and the action was extremly slick.

Microgunner

The most accurate rimfires I own are Anschutzs. Followed by Volquartsens or maybe my Winchester 75 or RAA CM-2. My CZ 452 is also very accurate and lighter than any of the others I've mentioned making it a favorite for toting in the woods. I installed a Timney trigger in my CZ making it a joy to shoot.

Terry A

Another plug for the Marlin .22. I have several and they're all accurate and reliable. The 981T is a tubular 17 shot .22lr. It shoots as straight as it is beautiful. $209.00. What more could you ask for? :)

I've been looking at the CZ rifles they look really nice, i like the varmint model
and they're about half the price of Anschutz rifles.
The only thing i don't like about the varmint CZ is it doesn't have open/iron sights, what would be the best CZ with open/iron sights?

Also what sort of 100yrd groups could i expect, i know for center fires 1" or 1MOA is good, but what can i expect for a 22?

phil mcwilliam

I bought a CZ452 Deluxe about 12 months ago. Topped it with a Leupold 2-7 V1 scope. This rifle is very picky regarding which ammo shoots best, as most 22's are. With CCI Mini mag ammo I get better groups with this CZ rimfire rifle at 100 yards,than I do with my Sako 22-250.