Accurate 1851 Colt Navy reproductions in .36 cal?

scotjute

I've got an Italian (not sure of mfg, but will check) reproduction
of the above, and I can barely get it to hit paper plate at 10 yds.
Has anyone else had better luck with another of these .36 cap &
ball Colt repo's as far as accuracy goes?
Any suggestions?

I'd like to get another but I want more accuracy than what I've
experienced. Read somewhere that the clones CABELLA's is selling in .44 cal (1851 Navy Colt) are fairly accurate. I'd like to
stay with .36 to avoid having two sets of ammo to maintain.

Thanks for your advice!

mcneill

I have an Italian repro also, manufactured by ASM (have no idea what that stands for). It is pretty accurate - at least will consistently hit paper plate at 15 - 20 feet. Have not tried it at longer distances. IIRC it cost about $125 in mid-90's. I have recently been thinking about moving up to a Uberti, but haven't wanted it long enough for it to become a need. (My philosophy is that if you want something long enough it will become a need.)

faraway

If you've had it a while or bought it used, check the barrel wedge and the two pins on the frame.If these are loose or misaligned that can be problematic. Might find a mold that'll throw a picket ball (like a .38 round nose) these tend to be more accurate (but harder to load)than roundballs. The signature series in any calibre were quite good. Don't get anything with a brass frame (not authentic for a Colt anyway..but they do seem to be about)...and on the the lesser quality repros (and this happens more with the big .44's) check the chambers, they can literally blow out of round. Also if not truly enamoured of Colt's ...get a .36 Remington, the design is inherently more accurate than the Colt's, although these powder foul much quicker.

Cap n ball

'Faraway' has it right. Any of the things he named can cause the gun to be inaccurate. The popularity of .36 cal in the old days was that it was a bit more economical with powder and lead and since it was lighter it tended to be easier and more accurate to use from horseback. I like Colts but the Remington is a sturdier design with a better set up for sighting. The Uberti guns keep getting better and better. The best that they make are certainly comparable to the originals. Worth the extra $$ for sure.

BigG

I think the open top Colt types shoot about a foot or so high anyway, don't they?

Kinda that 300 yd point blank factory sighting!:p

UltimaThule

mcneill, I like your philosophy!

I have a Walker replica made by a company called Armi San Marco. It's not stamped ASM anywhere, but it would be a fair guess that it is the same name.

For what it's worth, my Walker will shoot inside a foot or so at 25 meters, but I have never actually measured.

scotjute, try Pietta.