Accuracy problems with a PF9

xMINORxTHREATx

Bought my Dad a Keltec PF9 for Christmas, and we went shooting with it finally.

I've read that for such a small pistol, they are fairly accurate. But my Dad couldn't land a shot on a paper plate at 20ft. He wears glasses and we have been messing with his glasses, shooting with them on and off and looking at different angles and what not, but he still couldn't get more than a few rounds on the plate at 20ft.

So I gave it a shot, and I wasn't much better either. Now I'm no IPSC champion or anything, but with my M&P I could put a very tight group at 7 yards, but this Keltec just baffled me. I barely got all the rounds on the plate. Aiming dead center of the plate I would hit high, then low. Right then left. The rounds were landing completely randomly it seemed. Any idea what the problem might be?

zombieslayer

Don't feel bad. I bought a Pf9 and put a few thousand rounds through it. I can't remember ever hitting paper with it. It was the most innacurate gun I've ever owned. Some guys CAN shoot them well. I'm just not one of those people. My experience was just like yours. It did always function, just never got "good" with it.

GoOfY-FoOt

It's in the trigger...The first time I shot mine, I had two 6" targets side by side, about 8" apart. At 7 yds, I shot a 4inch group on the left target. Not bad I thought, if I hadn't been aiming at the right target. :confused:

My shooting buddy is an instructor, and he noticed a mild twitch just before each shot. The trigger is so long, that my stubby fingers would cause my grip to twist before full pull.
After a few more rounds, armed with that knowledge, I was able to hit the 1" bullseye, 3 out of 5.
I think they are quite accurate. I just need to master the trigger.

Hope this helps.

riggins_83

Try this: Load up the magazine and put a snap cap (dummy round) somewhere in the middle so he won't know which round it will be. This way you can see if he's jerking the gun, the trigger, etc on the round with no recoil.

I practice a lot with snap caps... very good way to train on trigger control. The DAO trigger is harder to be accurate with.

bamiller

I had the same exact issue and got so frustrated I sold the pistol. That being said I have buddies who shoot fairly accurate with the PF9. Have a Kahr PM9 now and shoot very accurate with it.

xMINORxTHREATx

He jerks A LOT, where as I don't. I personally only shot maybe 2 or 3 magazines worth, so I will give it another try and see if I cant work the kinks out.

t45

It took me a several mags to get used to the stout recoil and longer than I am used to trigger pull. Now that I have almost a 1000 rnds through mine, I am pretty accurate with it. My trigger smoothed out after a few hundred rounds also. Some cant get past the recoil but with a little practice, Im sure your dad will be happy.

Forseti

Remember, a light gun with a heavy trigger is a tougher thing to master than a gun with a lot of mass, and a light trigger...the PF9 is certainly a light gun with a heavy trigger...

If you can mount a cheap laser on the rail and dry fire you'll see where you are pulling to....watch the dot...

Southern Rebel

My first experiences with the PF-9 were very similar. The combination of the long trigger pull, the agressive recoil, and the size of the pistol all seemed to conspiring against me. Now, I am almost as accurate with it as I am with my SIG 239.

I finally conquered my innaccuracy by first wearing out a bunch of snap-caps to get familiar with the trigger, concentrating much harder on getting and maintaining a consistent and proper grip, and then shooting a lot of live ammo to get used to the recoil of the small pistol. It still is not very much fun to shoot compared to the SIG, but it is reliable, easy to carry, and I can keep all rounds within a five inch target at the normal 21 ft. distance.

(Hope the above helps :) )

As others have posted, the extremely long trigger-pull is likely the main culprit.

If ability to see sights is an issue, try putting a Crimson Trace laser on it. I can get 2" 15-yd groups with mine. :cool: