Accuracy of your go to rifle ?

BIG P

Just wondering what you expect from your GO TO RIFLE accuracy wise.
be it for target,varmint,Elk,plinking whatever.Your choice of range.
Mine is a MKII Ruger in 26-06 with a Douglas barrel & a 6x18x50 scope just a old truck gun,It will shoot around a inch @ 100 yards & does pretty well on gallon jugs at 500yds.Its used for Deer,hog,critters mostly. So this accuracy is plenty good enough for Me. Just wondered where I'm at with this.

So what do you expect from Yours ? Come on now tell the truth:D

justin251

My savage model 12 heavy barrel 22-250

It hits exactly where the cross hairs are resting. 100 or 200 yards. I haven't had the chance to shoot it further.

My remington 597.
About 1" at 50yards with the cheap ammo I use.

For my general plinking and Varmint shooting.
Next is my Remington 870......

Picher

My deer-season go-to rifle is a sporter-weight, 24" barreled, Stainless Remington 700 BDL, .270 Win that shoots sub-1/2" groups at 100 yards and 3 1/2" groups at 450 yards. In hunting season, it's in an HS Precision stock, but right now in a pillar-bedded Stocky-Stocks Ultra Walnut. Both shoot to the same POI and the same accuracy level.

The off-deer season finds me with a Walnut-Stocked, pillar-bedded Rem 700 ADL with a Stainless PAC-NOR match-grade barrel in .243 Win. It also shoots 1/2" or better groups at 100 yards. Eastern coyotes run when they see me coming with this one. The last one was 190 yards away and running away fast when the 85 grain Sierra BTHP caught up with him.

TheNatureBoy

My go to rifle (for the time being) is my Interarms .280. It posted a 10 shot group that measures 1.392 inches at 100 yards.

Last edited:

jmr40

Both of mine are Winchesters. An older Stainless Classic 30-06 and a new 308 Extreme Weather. Both are glass bedded in lightweight McMillan Edge stocks and 3 shot 100 yard groups are in the .3-.5 range. At 400 yards both rifles shoot right at 2". That is as far as I've tried to shoot.

was123

A Ruger 1-B in 30'06. Not my most accurate rifle at the range but more than capable in the field. She'll normally put 5 into 1.25" off of a good bench and bags. In the field, I have max confidence that the bullet will find the whitetail's vitals 100% of the time.

hooligan1

I'm torn because I have two very accurate "go to's",,, My savage 110 in .270 win, This thing shoots like 1/4 moa at 100 yds, with my handloads.;)

Saltydog235

Until I put the 700 7mm08 together it was my two Savage 10's with sub MOA accuracy. I like to know when I pick the spot, that is going to be where I find the hole. Lately my go to is fast becoming my 700 7mm08 varmint, its not a light handy rifle but is shoots sub 1/2" MOA.

PawPaw

Right now I don't have a go-to rifle, simply because I'm shooting several during the springtime rotation. I require all my bolt rifles to shoot into an inch at 100 yards, which in this era of rifle development is not an unreasonable expectation. Thirty years ago, it was a holy grail, but now that level of accuracy is very reasonable and easily attainable.

There was a time when I was chasing tiny groups, but I've come to decide that I'm strictly a hunter and won't shoot at a deer-sized animal past 300 yards, so chasing bug-hole groups simply isn't worth the effort. If my bolt rifles will keep the shots inside 4" at 300 yards, that's close enough for me.

My lever rifles are not scoped and not fired from the bench. I normally see 4" with iron sights and my aged eyes at 100 yards. That's adequate for most game shots and perfectly attainable with a rational level of practice. In fact, as the front bead of my lever rifles subtends almost 6" at 100 yards, they're all shooting into the area covered by the front bead.

When I'm training grandkids, I make them shoot into a 9" paper plate at whatever range we're likely to encounter game. They've got to be able to hit that 9" plate on demand. As the vitals of a standard whitetail deer is about 9" in diameter, that level of accuracy is okay for our deer woods. We also get out pictures and study anatomy so they'll know where to put the crosshairs. Accuracy is worthless if you aim at the wrong spot.

stu925

I guess I don't really have a go to rifle, my deer rifle (6.5x55 Swede) however will shoot 1" at 100yds which is perfectly acceptable for me. My target rifle (.280 Rem) will shoot around 3/4" @ 100yds. The rest of my rifles are plinkers and will shoot around 2" @ 100yds which is ok with me for their intended purpose. Each rifle has it's own purpose and some might have dual purposes, but I really don't own a rifle I reach for for everything.

Stu

Kreyzhorse

My go to is my Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. I can group 1" at 100 yards. That is good enough for me. I hunt at ranges from 25 yards to 300 and the gun has never failed me.

CDW4ME

My "go to" rifle is a red dot equipped AR. Using a tripod, I have shot two shots that were touching each other (more than once) at ... 25 yards. :D

Hansam

My "go to" rifle is an AR with a red dot... With it and shooting off hand I can shoot 3" 5 shot groups at 100yds consistently. On a bench I can tighten it up a bit more to about 1.5" but well what really counts is how well I can shoot it while moving and that means off hand shooting.

If we're talking about my favorite hunting rifle its my LR-308. I can put 5 rounds in a 1.5" group out to 300yds from a bench. Off hand I'd be happy if I can put 5 rounds in a 6" group at 300yds with ANY rifle but I've done it consistently with said rifle.

Marquezj16

What I expect from my rifles is 1 MOA or less with a scope.

Rem 700 Varmint - Sub MOA to 300 yards
Tikka T3 - 1 MOA to 300
X-Bolt - 1 MOA to 300
AR15 type with iron sights - 10" to 300
AR15 with magnified scope - 1 MOA to 300
22 lr rifles iron sight - 2" at 50
22 lr with scope - sub MOA at 50

What I shoot with my rifle that's another story. :D

sc928porsche

How accurate is my favorite hunting rifle? 5 round group within 1/2 dollar coin @ 200yds. Reworked Ruger M77R 300WM with custom loads fired in lead sled. The majority of my rifles will fire 1 MOA or less. I wish that I was as accurate as they are.

AllenJ

All my rifles are for hunting and I try hard to make them group MOA or better at 100 yards. However my elk rifle, a Browning A-bolt 300 Win Mag, did not like the old Barnes bullets and was topping out at about 2" at 100 yards. I went ahead and used those loads, they filled my tags just as good as the 1" loads:D

Mike38

Range or hunting large game, a Remington 700 AWR in 7mmSTW. 0.80 MOA.

Range or varmint, believe it or not, a NEF Handi Rifle in .223. 0.62 MOA.

Range / Blasting / Plinking, Saiga .223. Around 3 MOA.

Short range / small game, Ruger 10/22. Around 3 MOA.

Zen Archery

i think you guys think the kill radius of a "game size animal" is 1" @ 100 yards when in actuality its around 1'x8". For varmints you def. need a MOA to sub MOA standard but geez lighten up on yourself.

my .02