Accuracy of Leverevolution ammo

Jack O'Conner

I fired this 3 shot group at 100 yards and am amazed by the accuracy of this Hornady ammo. The rifle is a RUGER 96 with 1-20 twist rate and the scope is a lightweight Bushnell featuring 1.5 - 4.5X. Some varmint rifles can do no better than this tight cluster of shots.

Has anyone tried 44 MAG Leverevolution ammo in their Marlin, Henry, Rossi, or Winchester? I'm a big fan!

Jack

Last edited:

Doyle

When I shot 30-30 I found that LeverEvolution accuracy varied tremendously from rifle to rifle. Some liked it and others hated it. Looks like you've got one that likes it.

You know, some people have some issues with it and don't like it. For the .45-70, I haven't found anything more accurate in a Marlin 1895.

Leverevolution seems to be quality Hornady ammo, but as ever, not all guns like all ammo.

drive_sideways

You know, some people have some issues with it and don't like it. For the .45-70, I haven't found anything more accurate in a Marlin 1895.

Leverevolution seems to be quality Hornady ammo, but as ever, not all guns like all ammo.

You ever shot buffalo bore out of ur 45-70? Those put a hurting on anything in north america :p

NINEX19

Does anyone know if Hornady uses their leverevolution powder in their pistol rounds or is is limited to their rifle rounds?

stagpanther

I have a box of ftx's in 44 but haven't got around to loading any--the problem for me as I see it is that you have to trim the case quite a bit thereby reducing the potential velocity/impact force. I'm kinda curious too if anyone has reloaded these or shot them from a lever.

stagpanther

Does anyone know if Hornady uses their leverevolution powder in their pistol rounds or is is limited to their rifle rounds?
Probably you won't find the over-the-counter powder in either--they use the name for marketing but the factory load is likely a proprietary blend.

You ever shot buffalo bore out of ur 45-70? Those put a hurting on anything in north america

If I go grizzly hunting, I might give it a try. Otherwise, the 325 gr. round out of my Marlin 1895 will handle anything in Texas and the surrounding 20 states or so. So I am pretty well covered by something that works really well in my gun.

taylorce1

I've printed smaller groups than that with my M788 .30-30 and Lever ammo. My old M94 top eject likes it to, but the shooter has more trouble doing his part with the old buckhorn sights. I like the stuff, and will continue to use it in my .30-30's.

stagpanther

I just ran the numbers on the ftx for my 44 mag and it looks better than I thought it would be--so I'll have a go at hand loading some to see how they work out. The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is that I read on Hornady's website that they are designed to open at 1600+ fps--and every load I develop I also want to be hunting capable.

Scratch that--the ftx's I have are 265 gr--too long and intended for 444 marlin. drat.

Last edited:

Niantician

This is a 5 shot group at 100yards from my Marlin 1894 with Leverevolution 44mags. The really impressive part is that I shot 3 rounds having to take the gun off the rest after every shot to cycle it. And then my grandfather shot the last two rounds of the group. I like it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1445856692007.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1445856692007.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 58

Salmoneye

This is a 5 shot group at 100yards from my Marlin 1894 with Leverevolution 44mags.

Back when I had glass on my 1894S, that was the norm with Hornady 265gr FP...

IMNSHO, it has more to do with the .430" diameter bullets, than the gummy tip...

98 220 swift

I have found the 325 gr hornady 45/70 load to be very accurate out of my 1895 marlin guide gun. I cant even get any of my handloads to get that accurate. But then again I believe the hornady load was made for the 1895.