Accountability to your Firearms.

Pahoo

As recent thread is indicating a lack of responsibility that we have toward our firearms. Not just a neat new (TOY) which it is not, but shooting and maintaining it's performance. I understand that's it's a personal choice but I truly enjoy working with firearms, from building an M/L, to shooting and cleaning. I also take in orphans that have been left to starve from lack of cleaning. A good example is M/L's where folks buy them to extend the hunting season and after the season is over, just lay them aside to rust. I have aquired many and some just get used for spare parts. Most of them are restored and put back, in service. ...... :)

Bought a nice Ruger Blackhawk that the seller said, was not shooting well and sold it to me very cheap. Externally, it was in very good shape. However, the forcing cone and barrel, were so leaded up that you could not see any rifling at the breech end. Off and on, it took me three days to clear the lead that actually came out in layers. .....:confused:

Falling in love and buying it is just the beginning ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!

DaveBj

I have been thinking about this very thing recently.

Several years ago I did an AR-15 build with my son under the watchful eyes (and sometimes hands) of an expert at our local range. It was something I had always wanted to do. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, and I'm glad I did it.

However, I rarely practice with it, because I'm just not comfortable shooting it. It has become like a Ferrari sitting in my garage that never gets taken out and driven. I think I'm going to start looking for someone who would like to buy it, and who would treat it better than I have been.

D

Nathan

I have been thinking about this very thing recently.

Several years ago I did an AR-15 build with my son under the watchful eyes (and sometimes hands) of an expert at our local range. It was something I had always wanted to do. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, and I'm glad I did it.

However, I rarely practice with it, because I'm just not comfortable shooting it. It has become like a Ferrari sitting in my garage that never gets taken out and driven. I think I'm going to start looking for someone who would like to buy it, and who would treat it better than I have been.

Huh? Just shoot it. Am I missing something?

44 AMP

Staff
Some time back I got a (used) Stoeger.22LR Luger from a local shop for about 2/3 the going price. The shop had tried to use it as a range rental gun, and said it was a "jamm-o-matic" and so were selling it cheap.

Even had the box...

I looked at the gun, it seemed ok, not even particularly dirty. Took it home, and sure enough multiple jams with the first magazine, don't think it even fired two in a row...

Then, I OILED IT.

Ran flawless after that.

Pahoo

Me too !!!

It has become like a Ferrari sitting in my garage that never gets taken out and driven.
I can relate to that as I have a few "Lexus" myself. When I lost my hunting buddy with his pointers and all the Pheasants in my part of Iowa, moved to South Dakota. I had a number of shotguns that went to "better" homes and although I still remember them, don't miss them very much. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!