accidental shooting during firearm qualification training

westmich45

OOPS...

There was an accidental shooting at the Howell Gun Club in Marion Township, Livingston County, MI, on Sunday December 17, 2023, at 2:30pm.

During the regular firearm qualification training of an armed church security team, one of the guards shot himself in the leg while they were practicing drawing their weapons when his coat caused an accidental discharge while he was re-holstering into a groin type holster. Others on the range performed first aid and the firearm instructor drove him to the Hospital.

The Livingston County Sheriff Office investigated the shooting (report #23-06152) at St Joseph Hospital where the Deputy interviewed the victim and the firearm training instructor. Both were career law enforcement of the State of Michigan. The firearm was not seized for malfunction testing and the investigation closed without interviewing any of the others present at the gun range.

Unknown if the instructor had any MCOLES or NRA certifications or qualifications to conduct a civilian security firearms training course other than law enforcement work experience.

I would like to see the range video recordings as it sounds more like a finger in the trigger guard than a coat causing the accidental discharge.

I do believe that shooting yourself during qualifications is an automatic failure. I could be wrong on that in this case, but at least in some places it is considered a failure or politely as a DNF.

Groin type holster? Not where you want to have your unintentional discharge.

Career law enforcement? Geez.

rickyrick

Remember the officer that shot himself in the leg during a presentation to school children?
There was a video floating around for a number of years.

zukiphile

DNS said:
Groin type holster? Not where you want to have your unintentional discharge.

You wouldn't want to shoot yourself there either.

I've been harangued about the virtues of appendix carry and this is the scenario I can't get beyond. Don't point your pistol at anything you don't want to destroy.