Accessories for newbie

Rovert

Can you good folks recommend a list of required accessories that a new handgun owner will need to care for his collection? I'm looking for suggestions such as: cleaning kit, range bag, and so on.

Also, do you keep records to track things like how many rounds you put through each gun, what average score you had, when you cleaned, etc? If so, what is your format, and what do you track?

TIA!

RAY WOODROW 3RD

Welcome!

This is the best gun format you will find out there barr none. You will need a cleaning kit in the caliber that your handgun is, also it depends on the type of ammo that you will be shooting. As for worrying about how many rounds I put through my pistols, I don't count them. I shoot because I enjoy shooting.
Where do you shoot at? I live in N.J. also. Drop me a line and tell me where you are located.....:D

sousana

Rovert: On ALL of my guns, over 100 total, I keep a shooters log, which is usually just a composition book, I note all rounds fired as well as load data, accuracy, any malfunctions, any and all repairs/modifications to the gun. I see no need to keep track of cleanings.

As to the reason I keep track of what type of ammo and how much is shot, springs should be replaced anywhere from 3-5k rounds, it's best not to guesstimate, especially if the weapon is used for CCW or home defense. Nothing worse than having a week recoil spring and having your gun jam at the most innapropriate of times.

As to cleaning kit and range bag, each person has his own likes and dislikes. For pistol carry I use a Pachmayr pistol box to carry my pistols, hearing protector and shooting glasses. For ammunition I use a heavy duty military canvas bag. As to cleaning, a very long time ago I started out with a basic cleaining kit, all in one type deal, now, it's evolved to a mechanics rolling tool box with various tools and other goodies.

Rovert

Ray, I shoot at ShoreShot pistol range in Lakewood.

Sousana, thanks. I've had my eye on one of these two kits. I have a 9mm and a .45, but will also probably also buy a .32 and/or .380 for CCW. Your thoughts?

KB-AG.JPG

POU300B.gif

sousana

Those are excellent to start with, I also use Hoppe's No. 9 solvent. Each shooter has his or her own preferences towards cleaning supplies, I say try them all and find out which one works best for you. I would however say that for a lubricant, I use Remoil exclusively as it's excellent in warm and cold weather. But, others here might be able to give you a better choice as all of my gun are either coated with Wilson Armor-tuff, NP-3, Roguard or Metaloy, all of which require very minimal lubrication.

branrot

Besides a cleaning kit, I'd recommend a few spare magazines (at least two) if your gun is an automatic, or some HKS speedloaders (at least two) if your gun is a revolver. For automatics, I also like the HKS magazine loaders (try it, trust me you'll like it).

I'm not sure if you carry, but having a few holsters is a must for me. There is no one perfect holster, and what works depends on what you wear that day.

After that, you can mess with reloading equipment, night sights, lasers, aftermarket grips, stronger springs, weaker springs, etc.

blades67

A simple Outer's cleaning kit, a BIG bottle of CLP/Breakfree, lots of patches, a Bore Snake, a Dillon Range Pack and a Dillon Range Bag, a notebook, targets and lots of ammo. Simple as that.;)

Rovert

LOL! I hear you guys on the loaders. My 9mm P99 is easier than a Glock mag, but I have dents in my thumb already!!!

Anyone have an opinion on the Otis cleaning kit? I like it because it seems to clean everything I might buy at some point, without taking up lots of space. Much smaller than the other kits.