• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

accessing TFL

P

PreserveFreedom

Have you tried hitting "Refresh" or "Reload" at the main page?

P

PreserveFreedom

On the front page of the forums, there is a link to log out. That should delete your cookies. If it does not, go to Start, Find, Files and Folders, and search for *thefiringline.com* (include the *'s). WHen you find the cookies that contain thefiringline.com, delete them manually.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Well, I logged out and received a page stating that all cookies had been wiped. tried to use my bookmark. Still got the TFL moving page.
Then I went to find and typed in *thefiringline.com* and came up with nothing. !?

Quartus

This doesn't sound like a cookie problem. Spartacus, do you have a "hosts" file? Or, perhaps you are running Legion?

Legion, or programs like it, take a look at your bookmarks and go out the the DNS server and get the IP address that is the 'real' address your computer links to when you go to a domain. Then it writes that information into your hosts file. That's in your windows directory. C:\Windows\hosts

It's just a plain text file. Open it with notepad or your favorite word processor, and see if there is a line for TFL. It will look something like this:

156.46.6.134 www.thefiringline.com

Delete this line. Save the file as a plain text file again. No file extension. Not "hosts.txt" , just "hosts".

Reboot. That should do it.

Having your bookmarks listed with their proper IPs in a host file saves time. Every time you click on a link, your computer has to go out to the DNS server and wait for it to return the IP before a connection can be established. If you have a hosts file, your compuyter does the lookup itself in your hosts file, which is much faster. The drawback is that sometimes people move to Washington and change the IP address. (Don't know it you really did that, Rich.) Then your computer still tries to connect to the old server, which may very well be up and running. So you get the wrong page.

Let us know if that helps....

BTW, if'n you ain't runnin' Winderz, you could still have a host file sumwhar...

Last edited:

Quartus

Either works for me. It may be that your DNS server has not been updated yet. That sometimes can take a day or two.

DNS servers are the boxes that hold the database of what domain name belongs to what IP address. There are, perhaps, thousands of them, and they all gossip with each other, spreading the latest juicy tidbit of what domain name has changed to what IP address. And they all take notes and have very good memories, so that when you hit a link, the DNS server used by your ISP (which they may own, if they are big) should have the latest and greatest guest list. But sometimes the gossip chain is a bit slow, which can derail your surfing, to mix a metaphor.

Bud Helms

Yeah, I'm aware of that phenomenon. I don't think that's the case here. Maybe, but I totally missed the temporary shutdown warning message.