Accelerator Ammo

highvel

Does anyone know why the Accelerator ammo disappeared?
I dont remember anything being talked about news wise, it just dried up.
Did they, or do they ever sell sabots for handloaders in smokeless centerfire sizes?

Chaz88

I used to buy them factory loaded to hunt coyotes with my 30-06. When they went away in factory loads I was told they were outlawed because it left no rifling on the bullet. Never researched it but as far as I know that was the story.

Chaz88

i think they weren't exactly tac drivers+ pricey

No they weren't tack drivers by a long shot. Especially when taking a long shot. That is why I wasn't overly concerned when they weren't available anymore and didn't look into it any further. That was many years ago and my 06 was my only center-fire rifle. I just went back to using one of dads.

K8vf

Accellerators

Mebbe not tack drivers, but if your 30 -30 would shoot 3 inch groups, so would the accellerators. I remember a magazine article some years back which said the same.

In my Marlin 336, the Accellerators group quite well, slightly better than my 150 grain factory loads. Under One inch at 50 yards last time I shot.

Perfect for me to use as coyote loads in the Michigan woods, as long as they last.

I hope to find some more soon.

Grandpatime

thats why i think they went out i mean why pay high price for something that doesn't deliver (literally) .I want to get into coyote hunting thinking about using 300 win mag with 110 grain barnes .

10-96

I want to get into coyote hunting thinking about using 300 win mag with 110 grain barnes .
Seriously? No offense, I've known a guy or two who thought it was a hoot to hunt pasture poodles with a .45-70, but wouldn't a .243 fit the bill in a whole lot cheaper and cost efficient way? I keep mine loaded with 58gr V-Max's and don't even bother with the 70gr TNT's anymore- and that is good for 440yds (to date).

Do you have a good .300WM load worked up that will group well with that 110gr? How far off of the lands are you seating?

Chaz88

the way i see it it doesn't matter how much meat damage it does to a coyote your not going to eat it any way.

Back when I used accelerators the pelts where worth quite a bit. The smaller the entrance and exit hole the better.

okie2

any one can get sabots anytime they want for any caliber all you have to do is go to some little machine shop give then the diminsions and they can make them for you.

James R. Burke

I have never tryed them but have heard many times it is very hard to clean the plastic out of the rifling. But I never did try them. Right now I have a Ruger No 1 A Light Sporter, that I am using a Hornady 110 V-Max in. In a five shot average I am getting 3712 f.p.s. and I am still under the max, without any signs of presure. It is a 30-06. I am sure someone better would do even better than me. This is no target rifle by any means, just your regular deer rifle. Of course they are custom handloaded for that rifle only. They make them in lots of differnt calibers for sure the 30 cal, and now I believe they have one out for the 270, and all the smaller ones. I found them devasting. You would not want to use them to keep a pelt. I shot a porky pine that was a very long ways away in a tree, all you could see was a red mist go up in the air. Gives you something to do in the winter, and make a nice yote round that I am going to try coming up soon. For myseld I dont need anymore speed than that from a 30-06, and its plenty accurate just for myself. Just my .2 cents.

L_Killkenny

It's a business move. Why make a product that 10 people want? I never thought much of them and think they are pointless but whether they work or not isn't the point, they simply collect dust on dealer shelves. You can have the greatest product on the face of the earth and if no one want's it you'd be an idiot to keep making it.

LK

reloader28

I bought some sabots on e-bay and loaded 30-30 and 30/06 with 55gr's.
Didnt group very good.
I could see where they might be fun if you played with the loads, but I lost interest. Still have some loaded for 30/06 ,but I think I shot the 30-30's.
Very fast speeds. Didnt chrono, but supposedly 4000fps from a 30-30 and 4400fps from 30/06. That might be why they didnt group good.
Didnt notice any problems with plastic in the barrel tho with the few I shot.

I was told they were outlawed because it left no rifling on the bullet. Never researched it but as far as I know that was the story

Obviously, sabots are not illegal, at least not in any state with which I am familiar. There isn't any federal law stating rifling marks must be left on a fired bullet.

I just love have bizarre rumor/explanations get started.

jrothWA

Tried the .308's out of my M70...

@ 300 yds for sightin in, using the 200 yd hunting setting on scope,
held the target on the "X", fired three round, went to see impact.

Pulled target could fine anthinng on the 300 yd target face, looked further and there at the "missed" (aka; maggie's drawer) was the three round about 2.5 feet above POA. group was about 2".

I was using prone and sling.

Would like to obtain more.