AB 375 and 338 Enabelrs

stagpanther

Very interesting article by Bryan Litz about two cartridges they developed along with Peterson brass. Although "exotic" by most people's standards--there's still some interesting info in the article that is just basics ballistics and of wider interest than to just the ELR crowd. BL seems especially enamored of the 338 Norma cartridge--IIRC he actually was brought in as a consultant not long ago for the development of a new machine gun design for the military using the 338 Norma. What impresses me is a table in which he states the Norma is somewhat better than the LM in 338--I've personally been floored by the consistency of the 338 LM I have--though haven't had the opportunity to shoot it over 400 yds yet. Just putting this stuff out there to see if anyone has comments on any of them (or experience shooting them).

oldmanFCSA

My ELR experience has been with the 338LM out to 2500 yards, and with my 50BMG target rifle out to 3520 yards though most of time it stays at 1000 yards as sed in FCSA 1000 yard competitions. Recently I sold my RPR 338LM to a friend who shoots ELR around the country - I sold to pay medical bills.

The US Military tried to develop the 338Lapua Magnum and failed due to using the 416Rigby case which could not hold the pressure developed. IIRC that was back in 1983. Fast forward, US Military let Norma develop the cartridge and then build the gun around it.

I will build the next ELR rifle I use, probably in 460STEYR, a rifle I used back in Switzerland for FUN. Or in a 375/416/408 variant in a wildcat design of my own using CNC turned brass solid projectiles which can be tuned for best flight characteristics.

stagpanther

Or in a 375/416/408 variant in a wildcat design of my own using CNC turned brass solid projectiles which can be tuned for best flight characteristics.
Hmmm...I'm wondering what the chances are that you are scheming a cartridge of 50 BMG length?;)

stagpanther

One thing of special interest Bryan mentions in the article is velocity (and pressure) migration--I've seen this myself--but I've sometimes seen it go the reverse direction as well (decrease rather than increase).