AA#9, .357, magnum primers...?

Stargazer

Is it OK to use CCI magnum primers with AA#9 loads for the .357 magnum? I see most reloading data uses regular primers but I have heard some use magnum primers for AA#9.

Seedtick

My Lyman 49th says to use mag primers with everything in . 357. But I only use it for H110. Standard primers are working well with 2400 and #9. YMMV

ST

:)

shepheard

I have only used standard primers when I loaded AA#9. H110 is the only one I used a mag primer for. You can definately use a mag primer with it, just follow the load reciept and work up to your liking.

Mike / Tx

For the most part I use Winchester primers for all of my handgun loads. This said they are a bit warmer than others, but I still use the WSPM when loading the .357's with any powder. Not for any other reason than I started out with an abundance of 296 which I loaded all my revolvers with and they worked great with it. Since I was shooting several hundred rounds a week I was buying bulk.

I have used #9 with the .357 and several different bullets and it worked great. One of my most accurate loads used it, the WSPM, and the 140gr Remington bulk JHP. It is a fun, great shooting load that my wife and daughter both liked to shoot. Very accurate out to 50yds.

I also use #9 in my 10mm under several different 180gr bullets for top end velocities and great accuracy. For those I am using the standard LP primer, and it lights off well for them.

Good luck with your loads, I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

Jim243

I use CCI 550 primers for all 357 Mag loads. All most all are hunting rounds, because of case size, AA 2400 powder and most are fired in mid winter (very cold) it makes more sense to use SPM primers, just as insurance.

If you are going to pratice with your 357 Mag loads, you may want to use the SPM just to make sure your point of impact does not change from pratice to hunting because of different primers.

Just a thought
Jim