A400 Xcel Trap

A guy at my range just got a Beretta A400 Xcel. He was told it was a trap model and that it had a 30" barrel. This is the one with the blue receiver. Is there such a thing as a trap model? Checking Beretta.USA, I don't see such an animal.

A400 Fan

Mine has a 30" barrel as well. Does his have a parallel stock? Mine has a regular one and is listed more for sporting.

I thought you would be able to comment on this. It looked to me like it wasn't parallel. He did have the kickoff system. I feel sorry for the guy, since he bought it thinking it was a trap gun, but I believe he got a sporter and a guy shooting with us said it was a 28" barrel, when he thought he had a 30. Beautiful gun, but not a trap gun as far as I could see. He may have the same gun as you, ant the other guy may be wrong about the barrel length.

Last edited:

A400 Fan

Not saying it can't be used for trap; that would depend on what type of stock fits him best. Since I also shoot FITASC, which mandates a low gun, a trap-style doesn't work for me.
I guess one way to tell would be at the pattern board seeing how high his patterns are above POA - I'm betting fairly flat.

Yep. A lot of shooters smoke trap with field guns; a case in point being a guy with an evil black pump who I shoot with on the weekend. This guy didn't, but reportedly does very well with a BT-99.