A viable alternative for lefties re: the 1911 design?

CANIS

I like the 1911 design. I do not like the money that needs to be spent to have a gunsmith install an ambi safety to make it lefty friendly. IMO, all other controls are easy to operate on a 1911 design lefthanded except for the safety.

My question:

Is condition 3 (empty chamber) a viable alternative to carrying cocked and locked. I know the original intention of the design and am completely comfortable with it but, I would rather not have my gun screwed with and changing it's original config by adding an ambi safety.

What the heck did the armed forces do with left handed shooters? Were there ambi safeties back in WWII? Is there a technique for a lefty using a 1911 design with the regualr safety that I am not aware of?

Can an ambi safety be installed by me with little gunsmithing knowledge at all?

Should I just learn to shoot right handed and save myself all the angst?

Yes, it does add an extra step to get your weapon into action, but with practice (and I have) it seems that the delay is negligable.

I'm not a cop, do not live in a dangerous neighborhood, do not work at a dangerous job, don't go to dangerous places if I can help it.

The gun in question is a recently acquired Colt Government XSE.

TIA for your comments,

CANIS

stans

Having an amibidextrous safety is not that big of a deal. I suppose you could learn to swipe off the safety with your left index finger, but that is going to be slow and cumbersome. Condition 3 is fine for most house guns and for use on the range, but I would not try carrying it in condition 3. If you keep it in the house in condition 3, condition yourself to remember to chamber a round if the need to use it arises. I always thought the sound of a 1911 slide being racked was almost as terrifying as the sound of a 12 gauge pump action being racked.

yankytrash

"Can an ambi safety be installed by me with little gunsmithing knowledge at all?"

The answer - a resounding, "HELL YES!!"

First, a little clarity. When I say "lefty" or "left" safety, I mean the safety that's on the side of the gun that the left-handed person would use, and vice-versa.
  1. Remove mag, check for clear chamber.
  2. Cock hammer.
  3. Keep a grip on the gun with your weak hand, making sure to hold the grip safety tight. It will partially fall out when you remove the safety, if you don't hold on. Then we'll have to post about how to put it back together (it's not that bad).
  4. Safety must be removed when it is at least 3/32" from being totally down (safe position). Start wiggling the safety up and down (being sure not to let it go all the way down), while pulling out at the same time.
    The reason you need to keep it off the bottommost position is because there's a notch in the safety "hook" that engages onto the frame. Look at your new ambi safety, you'll see what I mean.
  5. If safety is stubborn and won't come out (as is usually the case when you try to remove a safety that's been there awhile), it's ok to use a thin flathead screwdriver or strong knife edge to pry it off. Insert the screwdriver or knife under the safety, toward the rear, and pry. Make sure the safety is somewhere in the middle position when you do this.
  6. Now, install the righty part of the new ambi. Wiggle and tap it in there. With it installed, put it in the upermost position (on safe).
  7. Install the lefty-side of the ambi. Make sure to insert it into the hole at the same position as the right side, so the notches will mesh up.
  8. You are free, my son. Shoot like the wind!!
    [/list=1]

A couple notes on the two basic types of safeties -

The first kind, the kind which I prefer, uses an elongated notched pin to replace your sear pin. It holds the lefty safety in place. If you haven't taken your trigger group apart many times, and are not familiar with the 1911 trigger group and how it goes together, do not purchase this type.

The second type is the easier to install, and the kind you see on most guns, for some inexplicable reason. Do yourself a favor when purchasing this kind of safety - don't go cheap. Get a King, Wilson, or Ed Brown. Some cheaper types will fail where the two safeties mesh together. The left safety is held in place by a longer, flat, wing, that fits under the right grip panel. Works fine. You'll need to notch the grip for it.

Notching it is pretty easy. True current government grips have an outline of where you cut, and you only cut about 1/16" depth off the back of the grip. If you don't have the outline, look where the lefty safety is going to be under the grip, and notch it out. Leave plenty of room, and make it 1/16" deep.

Attached to this message are the two kinds of safeties, installed.

I know this looks like a lot of hassle, but it's easier than it reads. I replace safeties without thinking about it. It's a breeze.

Attachments

• safeties.jpg
    safeties.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 51

CANIS

Wow,

Thanks for the info thus far. It sounds like a simple enough thing to do. Are any safety's more prone to "drop in" easier than others without mods?

canis

dsk

Regarding the military, for many decades you had no choice but to shoot right-handed. You were supposed to conform to the Army, not the other way around. Beginning in the 1970's that did indeed began to change around, and now they allow right- or left-handed shooting.

schild

I've put in 5 ambi-safeties(Brown or Wilson) and have never had one that dropped in, all required some fitting.

yankytrash

According to schild, you better avoid the Wilson or Ed Brown's, I guess.

However, to note, I've installed Wilsons, Ed Brown, and King-equivalents (gunsmith copies) into Colt, Sistema (sp?), Norinco, Caspian, Springfield, and 1 Para-Ordinance (not mine), and have yet to fit anything. I've had to polish the safety to get it working smoother (w/ Dremel, polishing wheel, and ruge), but never had to fit it.

Trick is, don't buy so-called "match grade". I sometimes believe that match-grade is an excuse not to finish making the part in question.

The beauty of the 1911 is the interchangability and the drop-in ability. Take advantage of that fact in your purchase.