A valuable lesson learned, b/s/t guns

unwittingly received a 9mm stolen from a police deputy a few months ago. The guy that bought it from me had the numbers run on it and later I had a state trooper in my driveway.

pretty much disgusted me and dont know if I will ever do anymore ftf transactions anymore.

I did the honorable thing and reimbursed the man that I handed the gun too, however I highly doubt I will ever be reimbursed from the guy who gave me the gun.

So, let me get this straight.

You bought a stolen gun without ever thinking to check it or the seller out, then when you sold it to someone who DID check it out, you're upset because the police came to ask you about it? :rolleyes:

Uncle Buck

Did you buy it from the police deputy? (Maybe I am not understanding the first part of your post?)

I would contact the deputy, if he does not refund your money, then contact the police chief, then contact the board of police supervisors and the prosecutor.

I bet someone would be very interested in knowing how the deputy rec'd a stolen pistol and later resold it.

chris in va

You bought a stolen gun without ever thinking to check it or the seller out,

First of all, he didn't know it was stolen. And please tell me how you'd go about "checking out the seller" other than seeing his DL and CCW card.

Hey, don't ever go into a pawn shop and buy something. No more yard sales, and Craigslist and Ebay are out as well.

noelf2

Also, how do we have numbers run on a gun to see if it's on a "stolen" list? Can that be done online, or do we need to call police before we make a ftf transaction?

bubbaturbo

So, let me get this straight.

You bought a stolen gun without ever thinking to check it or the seller out, then when you sold it to someone who DID check it out, you're upset because the police came to ask you about it?

I don't think he is disgusted with the police, just the situation.

Shadi Khalil

You bought a stolen gun without ever thinking to check it or the seller out, then when you sold it to someone who DID check it out, you're upset because the police came to ask you about it?

How does one go about "checking it out?" Are you able to look at a firearm and determine whether or not its stolen?

FrankenMauser

How does one go about "checking it out?" Are you able to look at a firearm and determine whether or not its stolen?

And the police won't just run the sn# for anyone. It is a crime for them to do this.

Exactly.
Many (if not all?) jurisdictions cannot legally run serial numbers for weapons that are not involved in some type of investigation.

They can't even run license plates for people any more! (Thank Bush for that 2001 "Homeland Security" law.)

I was told by the state police that you can have serial numbers on a gun run at anytime during business hours at their post. Also that your names would not be relevant when running the numbers.

They said the best thing to do is meet a seller at the post and take the gun in to have it run before I buy it.

I got the gun from a man in Louisville through kentucky classifieds. Anyway I turned in the information I had on him so they will be investigating him now and not me.

Terry A

The 9mm was stolen FROM a police deputy (either a police officer or a deputy sheriff).

This is getting perilousy close to "Who's on 1st". :D