A trip to Gander's

warbirdlover

I had to return a X-mas gift (duplicate) I got so had the opportunity to spend a long time handling and looking at all the centerfire rifles and here is (IMHO) what I found.

Savage - If they are as accurate as commonly stated they are the obvious choice. Smooth actions, accu-triggers and lot's of choices for cheap. Unfortunately they don't have the new ones in stock yet with the accu-stocks. I'm leaning towards one of these on the next rifle just based on their website hype. (They look much nicer in your hand then in the pictures).

Ruger Hawkeye - not made like my 77 Mk II all-weather. Sloppy bolt and not tight and smooth like my Mk II. They've cheapened a good rifle somehow.

Remington 700 - They look nice (SPS Buckmasters) but the bolt isn't smooth like they used to be (actually pretty stiff) and priced so low I'm wondering how or where they're saving the money. Ever since I got a lemon BDL years ago (out-of-round chamber) that shot like **** I have a hard time thinking of buying one again.

Tikka T3 - Nice all the way around but I don't like the small chamber opening vs. the fully open chamber design. Don't like detachable magazines. Silky smooth bolt and from every post I've read very accurate. Very reasonably priced.

T & C Icon - Wow this is nice. The one I handled had the normal round bolt knob and not the butter knife one in most pictures (that I would hate). Again the small chamber opening turns me off. And expensive. But obviously very well made. And I believe they are shooters from reading articles on them.

Winchester Model 70's - These are some very pretty guns. Seem well made and smooth actions. Priced a little higher then some but might be worth it if they shoot as good as they look.

Browning X-bolt - More slender (attractive) then the A-bolt. Looks well made but too expensive for me and I don't like detachable magazines.

I didn't bother looking at the big dollar models of these guns and other brands like Sako etc.

These are my own personal opinions and comments (agree or disagree) are welcome.

Winchester_73

Thanks for the post. I also have heard nothing but good about the savage 110s. I prefer vintage rifles but I would buy a savage 110 in a new rifle.

Christchild

I agree on the Savage. My next centerfire will be in .243 Winchester and I'm leaning more towards the 16 FCSS or the 16 FHSS. Both have the AccuTrigger and AccuStock.

Abel

The CZ rifles deserve mention. The CZ's, the new M70's, and the X-Bolts are a nice group. A slice above the others.

warbirdlover

I was going to look at a CZ but none on the rack. They also are more expensive then what I would pay. If I were spending that money I'd look at a Sako.