A tough decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
CindyH finally took the Basic Pistol / Personal Defense class last weekend. Turns out she's left-eye dominant, but her left arm and wrist are very weak (12 years working in a supermarket).

She shot the course with my Springfield V10, and kicked much ass with it. However, towards the end of the day, her group started dragging downward as her arm simply couldn't hold the gun up. Also, recoil and muzzle blast were issues for her (her wrist nearly gave out completely at one point).

We've been trying to decide what to get her for carry. At the moment, it's a Walther PPK/S .32, which is even heavier than the V10, a weaker caliber, and has an unmanageable DA trigger. She loves the Walther, but for target shooting, not carry.

Requirements:
-Small overall size to make concealment easy. Smaller than the V10, if possible.
-Light weight. She likes the feel of titanium revolvers, but my Ti .357, after 4 weeks in the shop, is going back for *more* work. Recoil in a titanium could be a problem as well; it's not punishing for me, but my wrists are much stronger than hers.
-Decent caliber, minimum 9x19. Cindy really likes .45ACP.
-Fairly light trigger. She chose my V10 for the class because it has the best trigger of all my pistols.
-Thin grips, as she has very small hands.

The candidates I've come up with are thusly:
-Taurus Millennium
-Taurus 605
-Glock 26
-Glock 36

None of these are perfect, but they all meet most of the criteria. The only one that we can't test is the G36; all the others are in my shop.

Opinions/feedback?

Gunslinger

One of my ex's had the same problem (even including the right hand/left eye dominate). We discovered that fatigue was more a result of heavy trigger pull than the actual gun weight. Based on that I would recommend something in a single action if at all possible.
Also do not over look the option of a really slick trigger job on what she decides.

I'm sure what ever she decides to go with she will do well with it. She's got the heart for it.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

AndABeer

Other options-

----
SIG 245

9mm
---
SIG 239
Kel-Tec

but if it fits her hand, the G26 sounds the best here, perhaps with a 3.5# connector?

[This message has been edited by AndABeer (edited August 29, 2000).]

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Beretta Custom Carry 9mm.

I worked at the shop on Saturday. This guy brought his wife in pick out a gun for her. She tried the Sig 228, Kahr MK9, several revolvers, Glock 26, several .32 cals. She ended up choosing the Beretta.

The DA/SA trigger is pretty good. Recoil is very limited. I believe overall weight of the gun is less then the PPK. Most of all, it fit her hands just right. Her biggest problems were:
1. Recoil
2. Grips
3. Strength to rack the slide back

Other then recoil (she never shot a custom carry), everything else was perfect for her needs.

Just my .02

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited August 29, 2000).]

Strayhorn

Have you checked out the new CZ-75 Compact with the alloy frame? Very light, and I've had two women friends say the grip is just right for their hands. It's a great little heater. If I didn't have so many small- and medium-framed 9mm handguns, I'd get one (as if that's ever stopped me before).

The SIG P228 has also been popular with the women at my range. Another winner with the ovary-enhanced crowd has been the Walther P99 with the "small" grip insert.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
In order of preference, based on weight, trigger, recoil:
Kahr P9
Colt Mustang or Govt. 380 Pocketlight
Stay away from snubbies as they generally have heavy triggers and recoil.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I forgot to add, being cross eye dominant is a pain in the ass. I got over it by shooting with both eyes open and LOTS of practice.

The Taurus Millennium is nice. The recoil is that of a 9mm but a little harsher because of the weight. What you're asking is difficult because Cindy needs minimum recoil and decent stopping power. That's a tough call.

Another to consider is one of the Kahrs. The MK9 would fit her hand nicely but recoil will be worse then the K9.

I should've had her shoot my MK9 in Springfield :(

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited August 29, 2000).]

C.R.Sam

Nuttin really wrong with shootin right handed and left eyed. Been a few world class shooters shot that way.

Why not set her up for right hand carry, then drill the other hand and the right eye.

Good to be able to defend with wrong hand and "wrong" eye.

Sam...love my snubbies, .38spec, .357, .44

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
SIGs and Berettas are out because of their DA/SA triggers.

We have a Kahr 9 and a 40 at the shop. Only problem with them is the weight.

Hi-Power is too big (long and tall).

Strayhorn, for some reason CZs never appear on my internal radar. I don't know why, they're great pistols, but I just don't think about them. I'll look into the 75.

I know, the weight vs recoil thing is going to be the major block. And Son... if she decides to go with a GM (maybe a Kimber AL frame?), I'll be grinning and giggling for the next 5 years or so. :D

loknload

How about a used S&W Md#39. Lighteight,smooth trigger and 9mm
Or how about a used LadySmith 9mm or .45
Those might work?
Just my thoughts :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

Jay Baker

Coinneach, I don't know if a revolver would be "on the plate," but if so, an older S&Klinton kit gun n .22 Mag. might be an option. The older ones have slick actions, too.

That .22 Mag. is a pretty good round for up close and personal self defense, and is quite easy to control.

Just a thought. J.B.

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Jay, .22 mag is one of her favorite cartridges. Cindy's other gun is an old RG in .22 mag. Fun little peashooter, and surprisingly accurate. Too bad the DA trigger suuuuucks and it's too big for carry. ;)

Hmmm... we have a Black Widow .22 mag...

Morgan

Coin -

I second the Kahr P9 (the polymer framed one). Even the standard K9 or K40 aren't that heavy (consider *loaded* weight) and meet all her other criteria perfectly.

Amy has a full-sized CZ75 and loves it. The 75 compact with aftermarket (read: thinner) grips might be just the ticket.

MrBlonde

How about one of the Kahrs? The, I guess you could call them "Big" ones(K's) might be nice. Thin grips, small size, 9mm or .40. The MK's might have be too much recoil for her because of thier size. Maybe even a P9.

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
One other point, gents... I mentioned this thread to Cindy (she can't access TFL from work) and she wants to know why y'all ignored her preference for .45ACP. ;)

James K

Member In Memoriam
A shooter gets tired after a long range session. So what? Who doesn't?

Is she planning on spending 3 or 4 hours shooting bad guys? Let her go with what she is good with for a few shots. In self defense only those count.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.