A Touch Of Class Comes Home To the Collection, Finally A K22.

cslinger

I have a goal with my collection to have an example of just about every action type in both full caliber and .22 Long Rifle. I have attained that goal to a large extent. I have, however, been lacking a good .22LR double action revolver.

Well I had decided some time ago that I wanted a little class with this one so it would either be an older Smith model 17/K22 or a Colt Trooper of some type. No new 617s for me.

Well today it happened. I walked into a local gun store and found her. She was beautiful, she had a pinned barrel, she had a gleaming coat of bluing, a wide case hardened trigger and hammer and she whispered to me as soon as i walked in the door. She was to become my double action .22 revolver. She was to become my Smith and Wesson model 17.

She is a model 17-4 and looks to have almost NO wear at all. The cylinder has spun a bit, but the bluing is damn near 100% and barrel is pristine. She is quite possibly the prettiest gun I own right now.

So without further adeau I give you the new addition to the collection. I wish I could take a picture that would do the bluing or case hardening justice.

129258-big.jpg

SJ_Shooter

You gotta love the classic deep Smith & Wesson bluing.

Gorgeous gun. The best part is that it probably shoots even better than it looks.

Hammer It

I wish I could take a picture that would do the bluing or case hardening justice.

Hello
Beautiful Revolver. You can get better Pictures by taking them outside and using natural light to enhance them. For blued finishes I find direct Over head sunshine the best and Nickel works well on an Over cast day. Take the flash off, and use Macro on your Camera to bring out the fine details. Here is what I mean about soutside shots enhancing the Bluing and Case color effects. I have seen some inside shots that Look as good if not better but that takes specail Lighting effects or back drops to acheive.In the Picture shown, The sun is behind me and I let the reflection of the bluing stand out by staying out of the sun rays when taking it. I hope this helps, Hammer It

DSCF1312.jpg

dgludwig

Very well done, Hammer It ! And a wonderful revolver to add to your collection, cslinger. Congratulations !

Usaro4

She's beautiful! I have a K-38 and want to acquire a K-22 to keep it company some day. If you dont mind sharing the info, what did the pretty gun cost? I live in Springfield TN and would like to know what gun shop you found such a jewel in.

Hammer It

If you dont mind sharing the info, what did the pretty gun cost? I live in Springfield TN and would like to know what gun shop you found such a jewel in.

Hello Usaro4
The 5 screw K-22 shown was Bought from a vendor at a Local gun show.I bough it Because it Locked up tight and appeared Little fired. It had the rather Drab looking factory Matte bluing that was Period correct back then, But I do not care for the Looks of it, as to me it takes away the lines and Beauty of the Early 5 screw K-22's. I decided to send it off To Ford's refinishing in Inverness, Florida since they had done Nickel refiinishes for me in the Past, But I wanted a deep Black style shinny Bluing placed on this one. It took a Month to get back and they hand Cut the S&W trademark as well. There Master rebluing cost is $230.00 and a very Modest cost for the results as shown. I wanted a Early Post War K-22 to Match my Pre-War model and they sure did accomplish that. They are the best refinishers out there, and give a one Year warranty with all their work, which is not offered by any other refinishers. Here is a Link to their Price list, and if you mention the Guy from Knoxville, Sent you, They will drop abother 10 % off the refinishing costs. here is a before Picture of how this revolver used to Look before it's refinished bluing above. Hammer It

http://www.fordsguns.com/

DSCF0634.jpg

Hammer It

The S&W Model 16-4

Now you can start looking for a K-32.

Hello Bluetrain
I am always Looking for a K-32 But they don't Pop up often as their were not many made. I do Have the Modern Version which is chambered in .32 H&R Magnum which I enjoy and it fills the void for now.. Hammer It

DSCF5793.jpg

DSCF5795.jpg