A tip ...that cost me 3 hrs of frustration this wknd ..

BigJimP

I load on a Dillon 650 ...and was switching from .45 acp / to 9mm that among other things, required me to change the primer system from large pistol to small pistol.

I always take the primer system apart that comes off the press / thoroughly clean it ...put it in the drawer for the next time. This time, I had the small primer system sitting on bench too ....and I mistakenly put the small system back in drawer / put the large one back on press after it was clean.

After 3 hours of primer system jamming with primers - taking it apart 4 times - all kinds of problems ...I finally realized my error !

My Tip ---- both primer systems look almost identical / so I took some bright blue painters tape and wrapped both system shafts ( that are visible when the system is on the press / and marked one in big black letters from a permanent marker - Large Pistol and one Small Pistol ....

so this never happens again !!

The good news is later in the evening, I ran 20 boxes of 9mm - 100% with no issues ...

McClintock

I feel your pain...

I can sympathize with you. I loaded 1 batch of 300 rounds of 9mm this weekend, with an intended (you can probably see where this is going...) recipe of 147 gr. LRN with 3.5 gr. of Bullseye. I verified the charge weight at the beginning of the session, it was indeed 3.5 gr. Finished my 300 rounds, then started on another batch that required a different charge. Checked the charge weight again, so I would have an idea how much to adjust, and saw the scale reading 4.0 gr :eek: ! Since this is over max (waaayyy over, according to Lyman #49, which states 3.5 max), it looks like I will have to pull the whole batch... I will have a strong right arm after using the bullet puller hammer!

My OAL is considerably longer (1.145) than the manual (1.095), but I don't feel comfortable with a load that hot.

Cheers!
McClintock

spacecoast

McClintock -

it looks like I will have to pull the whole batch

That's a lot of pulling. The online sources I was able to find suggested 3.8 to 4.2 gr. for a JHP, 3.5 gr. for a LRN. Alliant shows 4.4 gr. for a 124 grain JHP bullet with an OAL of 1.12. Depending on the gun you might be OK (+P) but might see some leading. Better safe than sorry, that's for sure. I had to undo 50 difficult .357s one time, so I feel your pain.

Someone with Quickload might be able to give you a predicted pressure max. at 1.145" OAL that might save you a lot of work.

BTW, I reload all my 9mm (plated) to 1.14" because it provides an extra safety margin pressure-wise and they run fine in my guns/magazines (Ruger P95 and Hi-Point carbine).

Last edited:

McClintock

I might pull a few random bullets and weigh the powder charge and see what it measures.

My apologies for the threadjacking... getting back to the OP, I want to thank you, BigJimP for reminding me to swap out the primer system when I switch from 9mm to .300 WinMag on my 550 this evening! You may have saved me a lot of anguish, because I'm pretty sure I would have forgotten to change the primer system, then racked my brain to figure out what the heck the problem was!

Cheers!
McClintock

BigJimP

I'm happy to share my "stupidity" ....and help you out ...

It's not politically correct ...perhaps .... but I have a 10 yr old grandson ...and he likes to shoot / and he likes to "help" ...and pulling bullets is right up his alley ...( not that I have that many to pull :D ... / but I drop them into an old cottage cheese container ) and store them up for him - and reclaim the components.

He's actually dissapointed - if there aren't a few when they drop by ....

Jim243

It's time to buy a Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller and collet. Quick and easy for pulling bullets.

alfack

Yeah. Those tubes are supposed to be color coded, but I can never remember which color is which. I took a sharpie and wrote an 'L' and an 'S' on them, so I can keep track.

medalguy

You could always do what I did... buy two presses and leave one set up for each primer type. Actually I load enough now that I keep several Dillons set up in 308, 45, 9mm, and 223. Never even change anything out, just dismount the press. Watch gun shows and Craig's List for good deals. They're out there!

McClintock

You're right, SonnyCrockett

You're absolutely right, SonnyCrockett, I should have been spot-checking my loads as I was making them. Normally I do a charge weight check every 50 or so rounds (so why didn't I do my spot checking this batch???). My powder measure is normally very accurate, and has not crept at all in the past. I suspect my digital scale needed re-calibrating, which was where the problem originated. I may have to get a balance scale to verify the digital one...

I will have to accept the responsibility for my mistake, and pull several bullets to test the charge weights, and pull (I didn't get to it last night, unfortunately) the remainder of the batch if they are over max.

Is this going to make me a little more vigilant about checking my charge weights? Absolutely! :D

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

Have Fun and Be Safe!!!

Cheers!
McClintock

BigJimP

The primer fill tubes are color coded / that wasn't the issue ....I was using the correct color tube for small primers.

I installed the large pistol primer mechanism on the press .. and was filling it with the right fill tubes ....but there is no color coding on the "primer system mechanism".... but there is now !!!:D

COSteve

Long ago I realized it was easy to mix things up so I mark both my large and small primer assy with a tag so I know which one I have. I use those sticky print labels and then cover them with clear tape to keep them readable. Note it says, "SMALL". I do the same thing with my toolheads too so I know which caliber I'm grabbing.

100_2072.jpg