A theoretical question for our many experts

RWK

Please choose among the following three options for personal defense, with the subsequent premises stipulated:
1. An approximately 4 inch S&W N frame revolver is the only alternative.
2. Home, vehicle, and personal defense in a normal, low-crime, suburban setting are the primary applications.
3. Six rounds are sufficient.
4. No extreme (LEO, gang- or drug-related) scenarios are considered.

Options:
1. Smith 610-3, 3.875 inch N frame loaded with 175 grain, 10mm Winchester Silvertips
2. Smith 625-9, 4 inch N frame mountain gun loaded with 250 grain, .45 Colt Speer Gold Dots
3. Smith 27-2, 3.5 inch N frame loaded with 158 grain, .357 magnum Speer Gold Dots

In sum, I have tried to select three relatively identical revolvers and three fairly similar projectiles (Speer does not make a 10mm Gold Dot, although they produce .40 S&W Gold Dot loads). OBVIOUSLY, THE KEY DIFFERENCES FOR YOU TO EVALUATE ARE only projectile diameter (9, 10, and 11.25mm), mass, and velocity.

Many thanks.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Option #2, although I make no claim to being an expert of any kind.
The 250 .45 Colt Gold Dot is sufficiently accurate, mild in recoil, very shootable, has a goodly sized hollowpoint, the bullet style & construction has proven reliable, and it should have little danger of overpenetration.
For urban use, or in outdoors areas where hostile animals of the four-legged variety are unlikely to be bigger than wolf or cougar, it would be my first choice in either of my two Mountain Guns.
For outdoor areas where critters might be larger or tougher, I'd go with a solid bullet.
Denis

Sir William

I agree, for different reasons. The 45 Long Colt is a common round with many options today. CAS loads, self defense, hunting and target cartridges are available. The lesser 45 Schofield can be used also. You simply have more choices with the 45 Long Colt. I like N frames myself.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I'd probably go with the 10mm due to the loads specified. 158gr .357 and 250gr .45 Colt are awful long on sectional density for normal antipersonnel work in the 'burbs, and Silvertips are relatively easy to shoot out of the 610 platform, and are no slouch in the terminal ballistics department.

Side notes:

1) My 3" 610 is full of Georgia Arms 155gr Gold Dots, for whatever that's worth.
2) In the "do as I say, not as I do" department, my 627 is full of 158gr Gold Dots from Georgia Arms at the moment.
3) OTOH, my Prrrreciouss... er, I mean my 3.5" 27-2, is loaded with Win .38 Spl 158gr LSWC-HP's. Go figure. :eek:

cxm

The m25 3.5".

The .357 is still the best defensive round and a M27 is the best revolver around in a production gun.

FWIW

Chuck

RWK

Frank,

I don't "need an N-Frame", I just prefer them to ALL my other revolvers and semiautomatics.

Regards and thanks -- Roy

seeker_two

4. S&W 29 loaded w/ .44SPL Gold Dots.... :D

If you're limiting yourself to N-frames, any of the aforementioned will do. But I would pick the M29 or M27 for the wider variety of ammo available (& you don't have to mess w/ moonclips).

Although, if all you'll be shooting is .357Mag or .44SPL. I'd lean more toward a L-frame/Tracker setup.... :cool:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Let's see what the NEXT poster says...:D

The NEXT poster says that you don't get to pick your loads; he specified those, too. Else I'd go back and change my answer... ;)

penates

I will throw in my two cents and recommend the m27. In the thread the poster makes no refrence to hunting of protection against large animals. The .357 is a good round and his stated load will fill his posted needs. He will also have a very low cost low recoil training load, that is, any .38 special.

Chris W

I'll take either 2 or 3 over 1, because:

any one of the loads listed is as good as any of the others for the stated purposes, as close as anyone can reasonably predict;

and while the 610 would be my choice if it were an IPSC stage I had to protect myself from :p , its recoil-absorbing mass is just slower to point and handle than the tapered barrels of the other two, and in a real SD situation, I'd give the nod to a fast, controlled first shot over a slightly faster second shot.

Given that, my decision between the 25 and the 27 would be made based on shot-to-shot recovery, which, I suspect, would fall to the 27.

Blue Heeler

It's option 3 - 610 brass is too dear, and who want's to set up a press for an orphan? The size of the frame is purely personal preference, anything that can squirt out a .357 will do the job in extremis.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
The limitations you place are interesting.

Of the three combinations nominated, my choice would be #2.

Reasoning: First, I have zero experience with #1. It may be the best setup since ice cream. I think of the load specified as strictly an anti-personnel load, maybe a touch fragile for big game, though you don't specify THAT use. Besides, you're probably a little short on moose and elk in your part of the world. :p

I own both of the other N frames. My old Pre-27 is strictly a nostalgia piece - - I have other .357s that'll do the same job with less burden on my belt. Agreed, if you're not a hand loader, .38 Special practice loads are widely available and reasonably priced. Any of us are better served by a revolver with which we practice, no matter the exact caliber. The 158 Gold Dot mag is pretty intense, with a sharp muzzle blast and significant recoil, even in an N frame.

The .45 Colt is a superior defensive caliber - - Opens BIG holes, arriving and departing. I have not used the load you mention, but the reviews are interesting. Decent performance, deep-but-not-excessive penetration. Even with the Mountain Gun being lighter than the M27 OR the 610, recoil and muzzle blast should be somewhat more moderate. I like a heavy LSWC loaded to around 900 fps, but I'd feel comfortable with the GD load you specify. I really like my exmple, but seldom carry it except in the field. Any of these all steel N frames is something of a load unless worn on a big, wide, belt.

Best,
Johnny