A test period/method for CCW revolvers before considering them "reliable" for CCW?

Doug S

I'm relatively new to the revolver as my primary CCW. Although the numbers vary somewhat, most everyone has read or heard some standard for shooting your CCW semi-auto with a certain amount of your selected defensive ammo without malfunction, before considering the gun reliable enough for CCW. What I've not noticed is a similar statement for revolvers. Do most people consider revolvers to be so reliable as for this to be a non-issue? Just fire it at the range to make sure its working, and then put it in your holster? Do any of you have a standard test period, before you consider a revolver "reliable" enough for CCW? If so, what is it? Why is it that you just don't see this information being put forth in regard to revolvers, but you can't help but to read something to this effect about semi-autos in virtually every book/magazine you pick up?

I'll be honest, I picked up a used pre lock 642 a couple of weeks ago. It is in nice shape. I put a little less than 100 rounds though it, and began carrying it. My new Ruger SP101, had about 300 rounds through it before I started carrying it.

In contrast I always have put about 500 rounds with 100 to 200 of those being my chosen defensive load through my semi-autos before being comfortable enough to carry one for CCW.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
From a reliability standpoint...

Generally, if it's lighting primers and shooting to point of aim, it's good to go.

With autos you need to be more certain of things like feed reliability and whether or not the round has enough energy to cycle the action under any possible condition (ie. Will your carry load cycle your auto reliably when held loosely in your weak hand?)

Doug S

Yes, as I'm finding out, it makes sense that the difference is mostly the result of ammo sensitivity with semi autos. For the most part a non-issue with revolvers. I guess it does make sense to test your revolver with a box or two of ammo for function, and then maybe a few cylinders of your chosen defensive ammo to check POI, and for bullet jumping.

Thanks for the comments.

Kreyzhorse

I think you have to test any new carry piece before trusting your life with it. Revolvers, while generally pretty reliable, aren't above failure right out of the box. I bought a Taurus M85 that siezed up after 200 rounds or so and it never made it as a CCW piece. Didn't trust it and don't own it any more. Its replacement was a S&W 637 that has performed flawlessly. I still put at least 100 rounds through it before I trusted it though.

Doug S

Yes, it seems a good used revolver check before buying, and a good range session of 100 rounds or so, sounds pretty reasonable. Definitely a little more affordable (in terms of ammo consumption) to get a revolver ready for CCW than your average semi.

Doug S

Ruger,Smith And Wesson. 100 rounds.

Taurus and Rossi. 600 rounds.

I like:), and unfortunately it seems to make a lot of sense. Particularly in my experience with Taurus. I'd go at least a 100 rounds before carrying a Taurus, and quickly follow up with a couple of hundred more, just to be safe. Don't mean to offend Taurus fans, of course, just basing comments on my own personal experience.

KyJim

I always do some range work before carrying a revolver or trusting it for defense. This also allows me to get a feel for it and to see where it aims with ammo I want to use. However, I don't put nearly the rounds through a revolver before trusting it as I do a semi-auto.

All my defensive revolvers are S&W's and I would feel comfortable with putting 25 or 30 rounds through them. Semi-autos, I will put 100 to 300 rounds before trusting one, depending upon type (300 for 1911s).

YukonKid

Ha. Depending on the make of the weapon 0-infinity.

I would never trust certain companies with my life. Others like Ruger or older Smiths, if shoots where i want it to go one cylinder is enough.

YK

I will generally take a new gun to the range a few times before I will carry it.

I have to not only know that it is mechanically sound but also that I am very familiar with it's operation.

That is why I like to stick to revolvers or DA autos. I like a gun that just requires me to point and pull the trigger for the most part.