A tale of AK woe

Darker Loaf

So, to many people, AK's are synonymous with reliability. As I've said many times on TFL, I am a cursed man. Perhaps I am made of pure curses.

I bought a Bulgarian-made Arsenal SAM7-SF (a milled, side-folding AK-variant), which had it's own set of problems: the safety slid over the top of the top-cover (the safety itself seemed slanted in a way that promoted this and also the receiver was over-milled allowing the ambi-safety to move too far) and also I experienced extraction problems with a variety of ammunition (Red Army Standard--which seemed problematic, Tula, and Wolf).

So, I sent the thing back into Arsenal, only to receive it back, exactly as I got it, and no different. Being the long-suffering, stoic-type, I said, "Enough of this!" And I sent it into Firing Line out of OK. I ordered up a silly and gross variety of custom work sending my AK into the absurd $2k range (with original purchase and various parts), hoping they would set me straight... and so I waited with nervous baited breath.

I had them send it to my FFL as to avoid theft, etc... however, what I received was a box far too small. I looked at it and thought: "How did they fit my rifle + spare parts + 8 Cerakoted mags into that?" Sure enough, upon opening, I was dismayed to find only a barrel, gas-system, and action/receiver, also Arsenal in 7.62x39mm, but owned by an individual in FL!!!

This is just my luck. As I've said, many times on TFL, I've had about 50% of my guns, or parts orders, messed up with reputable vendors. Thankfully, they were able to catch my rifle enroute via UPS to the individual in FL... I can't imagine what the look on his face would have been to see a complete rifle, Cerakoted and kitted with 8 Cerakoted mags, instead of just a barrel, gas-system, and converted receiver.

The handler from the Firing Line, OK, was new on the job (three-days), and has corrected it, but this is what it is like to be me: perpetually cursed.

NOTE: Also, though I've had really good luck with Volquarsten (in 22/45 Lite), my recently received rifle was fraught with problems... grrrrr.....

tahunua001

I've also hit bad strides with a number of guns. it's not fun but it doesn't last forever. your next gun may also have issues, even maybe even the next 10, but eventually you'll have a good one that'll never let you down.

Greguw

I have noticed a lot of the newer Arsenal stuff the quality has gone way down . For any one looking to buy I would suggest looking at some of the older SLR's like Sam7 , SLR's 95 , 100 , 101 , 101s ... can't go wrong there .
Had a SLR106 come in , Mag fit like crap , looked like my 5 year old kid painted it ... Right now with US sanctions on Russia the Bulgarian is still coming but saiga has been cut off and all the parts kits also are going to be effected .

Darker Loaf

RE tahunua001: I sure hope so! I do have a handful of guns that are rock-solid: My Kahr K9 Elite, a Rock River Elite Operator II (maybe I just need to buy 'Leet guns?), and a Springfield XD Service Model V-10 in 9mm. I'd just like a few more.

Regarding the quality of the new Arsenals: I can tell you their customer service sucks, and that I may be a fool for ordering a brand-new relatively whacky AK variant (ambi-safety, milled).

RE Venom1956: I sure hope it she sings when I get her back! I sooo want that gun to run correctly.

My SAM7-SF ran so well that it ran right to Florida! :eek:

silvermane_1

^Darker Loaf, this is the very reason i went with a cheap CAI 2014 WASR 10/63, instead of a "superior" newer production Arsenal AKM, i've had zero issue with my WASR, ate even HP 7.62 like it was candy :D, no jams, no FTEs, no FTFs, and they way i look at is if i have problems with it, it's only a $550 OTD rifle, vs. being a $900+ "superior" Arsenal.

Darker Loaf

Re silvermane_1: Yup. I understand. I went down a dark road. If my gun ends up being what I want it to, I'll be happy, and pretend that I didn't spend all that money on it. But also, I respect the lower-end AK's. If a gun runs, then it's a good gun. I just went with a higher-end AK because I wanted to eek every bit of accuracy out of my AK that I could (realizing that this is not necessary for self-defense). I just find more accurate rifles more interesting and fun.

Could I have been happy with a WASR? Probably. But honestly, I'd probably be sinking some amount of stupid money into customizing that as well.

I bought a middle-of-the-road Rock River Arms and I love it, and see no reason to "upgrade" to something more expensive in an AR platform.

silvermane_1

Darker Loaf, well from what i understand it's a 90% ammo related when it comes to the accuracy "equation" when it comes to AKMs, how ever i'm not entirely "off the dark path" when it comes to AKs, i just bought a WW 74, but i will admit i got it a price i could not "refuse";), cuz it came with a 90% full crate of 7n6 and 1 mag, all for $550 OTD:eek:,:D, but if i have any problems with it, DDI flat out told me "send it in, no questions asked".

Last edited:

Darker Loaf

But my AK should have run Tula and Wolf FMJ like every other AK out there... if it can't, then I bought a pointless gun (for me).

Darker Loaf

Re silvermane_1: That's just the thing, actually. I already sent it in to Arsenal, and they sent my gun back with exactly the same problems. I became frustrated, and instead, I sent my gun into a custom shop (Firing Line out of Oklahoma) and hopefully they've fixed it (and done a bunch of nice custom work, too).