• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

A suggestion for all members to help with server load

Mal H

Staff
If you are like the vast majority of the members you log into TFL several times daily, so it would help the server problem if you set your "Default Topic View" setting to "Show topics from last day", if you haven't already done so. Just opening a forum is a form of search, so this could easily cut the amount of data requested by a good percentage.

Rich - you might consider making this the default instead of the current setting of 2 or 5 days, I have forgotten what it is, but I don't think it was 1 day.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Mal H,

GREAT idea man. I have my default set to 5 days and just changed it to 2. I think that the info is stored on your computer as a cookie and can be adjusted as each user sees fit. Dump your TFL cookies, access http://www.thefiringline.com through the front door and set your default to 1 or 2 days. It should stay the way you set it.

Please correct me if I am wrong. It happened once before, so it could happen agin. ;)

Mal-
Thanks much for a great suggestion. I've changed it to a 2 day default.

BM-
You're correct. Members may change this to 1 day or more by clicking on the "Preferences" tab.

Members-
By all means, set the preferences to your own liking. But know you have a choice.
Rich

Greg L

Is there a way to set the "view topics" setting per forum. There are a few that I'm into several times a day, but there are others that I either only have a slight interest in or are lightly posted in that I check into every few days (if that). If we could set the defaults somewhere (preference screen?) it would help. Right now I had this set to 75 days (never checked in here before) while clicking on Legal on another screen. Legal is still cranking away while I'm typing (and fully expect it to still be doing so when I'm done). There I only needed one day, but because I had already opened this on 75, it is looking for 75 there. (Minor rant, really love the site though)

Mal H

Staff
Nope, the setting you select as a preference is used for all forums. You can't set it differently for each forum.

If you enter most of your favorite forums every day, then set it for 1 day. Then set it individually within the forum whenever you enter the other forums that you visit less frequently.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited January 25, 2000).]

Greg L

Thanks for the quick reply Mal. I guess I just was grumpy because I had a couple of windows open and got bit in the a$$ by chosing a popular forum. When chosing a lightly traveled one from now on I will do it solo. Thanks again. Greg

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
When you first acess a forum (example: General) under 'New Topic' there should be a bar that has the 'show topics from last x days.

It won't override the preference you set, but it'll help during each session.

LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited January 25, 2000).]