A stainless S&W 642?

Elerius

I have been admiring the 642 lately, and saw the rare variant, the 632. This, from what I've read, is all stainless, while the 642 is aluminum with a stainless cylinder. Can anyone name an all stainless version of the 642? That is, no ejector shroud, j-frame snub, hammerless. Exactly like the 642 only all stainless. Is there or has there ever been such a thing?

Glenn E. Meyer

The 632s are 32 Mag or 327 Mag. The stainless J frame in 38 or 357 that is similar in configuration to the 642 is the 640. It's a quite a common gun - weighs more and not that popular for pocket carry.

carguychris

The all-stainless version of the M642 is the M640. This model is now .357 Magnum with a shrouded ejector rod, but .38 Special and/or unshrouded versions exist, primarily from before 1996 when S&W introduced the lengthened "J Magnum" frame (and MIM parts). FWIW most all-stainless .38 J frames switched from .38Spl to .357Mag when this transition occurred, although S&W still builds special runs of .38Spl guns from time to time.

The M632 is either a 6-shot all-stainless .327 Federal Magnum revolver that has been offered in both concealed-hammer and spur-hammer versions, or a rare 6-shot concealed-hammer .32 H&R Magnum revolver with an "Airweight" aluminum alloy frame.

[EDIT: I see that Glenn beat me to the punch.] :)

Elerius

Ah, I see. All of the 640's I've seen before have shrouded rod, but I see that unshrouded ones exist, even though they seem in the minority. Thanks

Doyle

An all stainless version would weigh more and take it out of the "airweight" class. I'm not sure there would be much of a market for a revolver that small that wasn't an airweight. For an alternative, there is the 442 with an annodized finish.

Dragline45

If you want an all stainless 642, look for an older 640 in .38 special, if you want an all stainless 637, look for an older model 60 in .38 special.

Sometime during the 90's S&W stopped making model 60's and 640's in .38 special and started making them in .357 only. Once again, add that to the list of a plethora of bad decisions by S&W.

carguychris

Dragline45 said:
If you want an all stainless 642, look for an older 640 in .38 special, if you want an all stainless 637, look for an older model 60 in .38 special.
FWIW same goes for M638 ==> M649.

Elerius

If I got a 640 it would only be for adding to the collection and shooting. I was looking into the 632 for carrying, being that .32 magnum would have 1 more round, but the only one in that style is made in stainless. I don't care much for the looks of the shrouded barrel ones like the 332. It always seems to be some combination I want that Smith doesn't make. Thr most interesting carry piece would be a 632 in .327 Federal but identical in looks to the 642. I don't suppose I could have one made without a lot of headache though.

carguychris

Elerius said:
Th[e] most interesting carry piece would be a 632 in .327 Federal but identical in looks to the 642.
The .327 Federal Magnum cartridge operates at even higher pressure than .357 Magnum, and although I don't have hard data to back this up, I suspect that it would lose even more velocity and create more muzzle flash than .357 out of a barrel shorter than 2-1/2".

The "Airweight" aluminum alloy frame has never been offered in a .327 or .357 Magnum, likely because the material can't withstand the punishment. S&W has offered the "AirLite" scandium frame / titanium cylinder and "M&P" scandium frame / SS cylinder combinations in .357 Magnum, and I suspect they could do so with the .327 cartridge as well, but I presume that the .327 M632 wasn't popular enough to interest S&W management in this idea. :(

FWIW if you can live with the step down in power, the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge was offered in three 6-shot concealed hammer configurations: two Airweights (M432, black frame, and original M632, silver frame) and an AirLite (M332). Other than the diminished power vs. .327, the other issue with these models is that their prices are rising due to collector interest.

Elerius

I'd like a 632, but unless I'm mistaken, they were never offered in the airweight configuration. I know that the 432pd would provide the general package that I'm looking for, but I don't really like the aesthetics of it. I love the retro-ish look of the simple unshrouded j-frame.

In fact, can anybody give an example of a .357 snub that DOESN'T have a shrouded rod? The 640 was unshrouded up until they started producing them in Magnum right? is there some structural reason?

Elerius

My mistake. After more research, it looks like the information on the 632 being all stainless was not correct. It is indeed an airweight, and now I need one. I'm sure it will be no problem at all locating one :D

carguychris

According to the Standard Catalog, the M632 was produced from 1991-1992 as a concealed hammer Airweight with a silver color alloy frame, .32 H&R Mag, 2" or 3" unshrouded barrel.

Arkhog

The extended J's are OK

Dragline45 If you want an all stainless 642, look for an older 640 in .38 special, if you want an all stainless 637, look for an older model 60 in .38 special.

Sometime during the 90's S&W stopped making model 60's and 640's in .38 special and started making them in .357 only. Once again, add that to the list of a plethora of bad decisions by S&W.

I agree that Smith should have continued with the 60 and 640 in .38 spl only. I had one of each and regret that I no longer have them. However, I currently have a 640 in .357 on the extended J-frame and have no issues with it. It is carried IWB on a regular basis. It had an ILS problem. I "fixed" it.

Hammer It

My mistake. After more research, it looks like the information on the 632 being all stainless was not correct. It is indeed an airweight, and now I need one. I'm sure it will be no problem at all locating one

Hello
I have the Early Model 632 Centennial Model revolver. It has a stainless steel barrel and cylinder. They Only made 1500 of them back in 1991 and they are very hard to locate. Mine came to me at a gun show from it's original owner and it has only been factory test fired, in it's original Box with rubber uncle Mike boot stocks and paperwork. Here it is with a set of factory rosewood Boot stock's shown on it... Hammer It

S_W_Model_632_Centennial_Air-Weight_0051.jpg

S_W_Model_632_Centennial_Air-Weight_0071.jpg

Deaf Smith

I use two carry guns.

Glock 26 and S&W 640 (my first ccw gun I've had for over 20 years.) Yes, it's in .38 spl.

I prefer the all steel 640 cause I can shoot it one handed with heavy loads well (never assume you will have two hands free in a gunfight.)

I rate the 640 highly.

Deaf