A small update of the P32 page

Very nicely done review! The writing is clear and the pictures are great as usual!

I am concerned with the conclusions, however. In end of the review, it says,

"What makes me keep a gun with such an imperfect history of reliability is that it functions even with a cracked frame, though less reliably than normally...and that no viable alternatives exist. Other mouse guns are either much larger and heavier, or have painful recoil or chamber a much weaker round."

Somehow I get the impression that reliability has taken a back seat to convenience. That is a shame as there should be a reliable alternative made for that size of gun. Then again, if you want power, light weight, tiny size, then something is going to have to give and unfortunately it is the reliability of the gun. The problem based on Kel-Tec user group's site is that there is no real pattern to the failure of the P32s, so it can't be predicted that after X number of rounds, the gun should be replaced. Some fail very early, some don't seem to fail for quite some time. I have seen the claims of 5000 rounds, but most late failures tend to be in the 1000-2000 range, early failures before 300.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
My friends carries it as a backup to a .357
I wouldn't carry a P32 unless no other alternative existed (i.e. no-carry state, risk of getting caught) but other 22/25/32 alternatives are worse. Look, I am a fan of P32 but I wish to be honest about its limitations...else I'll be like every other gun writer who gloss over problems in exchange for ad revenues.

Guyon

Double Naught,

I too have been torn between convenience and utter reliability. In the spring and fall, it's not a problem to carry my Makarov either IWB or just with a pullover and a Fobus paddle holster. In the winter, I may even carry a full-sized pistol because I can put on a heavy coat.

However, in the hot summer time, my wardrobe consists of t-shirt, shorts, and sandles or tennis shoes. Kind of hard to conceal anything unless it goes in your pockets. I can poke the Mak in my pocket, but then it always looks like I'm happy to see you. The Kel-Tec seems to offer a good carry option for hot weather, but I don't entirely like the thought of a pistol that isn't 100% reliable.