A silly glock question

Dano4734

I have an older glock 23. I only fired about two clips through it. I only use factory ammo. Should I put a wolf barrel on it. I read about a lot of kabooms on the 23. If it was your gunwwould you change it or leave it
I use to only carry a colt. 45 but recently switched
Thank you

Sevens

Just HOW old is your "old" Glock 23?
Also, where does all your ammo come from?

If it's not extremely old and especially if you don't handload (or buy crusty remanufactured ammo) or get your ammo from friends who reload, I don't think you "need" to buy a replacement barrel.

You might realize better accuracy from a new, replacement barrel. You can also get a conversion barrel from Lone Wolf so that your G29 runs 9mm ammo.
If it was your gunwwould you change it or leave it
You did say you only use factory ammo.
If that was my situation, I would not change the barrel at all, I would leave it and it would be perfectly fine.

Dano4734

Thank you

Thank you my friend the gun is about 12 years old I bought it used but the original owner fired it maybe twice. It looked factory new. The gun is mint. Shoots great. I bought some remington ammo from the store. Shoots great. I don't intend to use it much but carry it a lot

AustinTX

If you're shooting Remington UMC ammo, inspect it before firing. I'd suggest another brand altogether. The last box of UMC ammo I bought had rounds that varied in bullet setback as in the photo below (not my photo). The crimp was so weak on others that I could spin the bullet in the case.

If you get a round with a deeply seated bullet as above and you don't catch it, you will have a kaboom. This was a widespread problem with UMC ammo for some time. I don't know if it's still an issue, but I'm never going to experiment and find out. I'll stick with brands that haven't had this widespread problem.

setback_9mm.JPG

colbad

That Glock will out live you assuming you live a long life and are using factory ammo. I don't know what you mean by "kaboom"....guns blowing up? Never heard of that. If that is the case its almost always someone shooting handloads that are not within specs. I would not worry about it in the least.

Dano4734

Thank you

And thanks for the info on the remington ammo I will switch to another brand do you have a suggestion for what I should use.. Dan

AustinTX

Dano, for range ammo I've never had a problem with Winchester White Box ("WWB") or basic Federal FMJ ammo. Some people have reported quality control problems with WWB, but definitely not on the same scale as the problems that Remington's budget ammo has had.

In any case, it's always a very good idea to inspect your rounds for consistency regardless of the brand you're shooting.

Snyper

If you're shooting Remington UMC ammo, inspect it before firing
One should inspect EVERY round they load, since the defect in that picture could have easily happened during shipping or while being handled, and isn't necessariy brand specific

Also look closely at rifle rounds in places where the ammo is out on the shelves, because people often will open different boxes to compare them, and sometimes they don't get put back in the proper box

Walt Sherrill

Re: ka-booms.

The Glock .40 models seem to be the ones mentioned most often when Ka-booms are discussed -- because the Glock .40 barrel doesn't support the base of the round as well as some Glock barrels and guns made by other companies.

If you're shooting factory ammo, you'll probably never have a problem. If you reload, then it might be a concern. If you're unsure, you can always check your fired cases to see if you notice any brass warping or expansion around the base. If you do, you can then either change ammo brands or look to an aftermarket barrel that supports the cases better.

I've had both a 23 and 35 and never saw evidence of a problem. (My only Glock at the moment is a 38 [.45 gap].)

scottycoyote

from what ive read and seen it seems most kabooms came from shooting hot reloads, saw a model 29 that blew the magazine (ha i said magazine) out of the bottom of the gun and broke the retaining mechanism shooting hot reloads. If you will be doing something like that or shooting even hot factory loads then yes buy a wolf or other aftermarket barrel that supports the entire case. Barring that, i think you will be fine as is

agent109

A silly glock question
I have an older glock 23. I only fired about two clips through it. I only use factory ammo. Should I put a wolf barrel on it. I read about a lot of kabooms on the 23. If it was your gunwwould you change it or leave it
I use to only carry a colt. 45 but recently switched
Thank you

Regarding that silly question, I worked for an agency that had thousands of Glock 22, 23 and 27 pistols in 2nd 3rd and now 4th generations and I don't recall a single problem with any of them. I have found that leaving a Glock pistol in the factory configuration and using standard or recommend pressure factory loads will reduce failures of all types.

Dano4734

In

In neck of the woods, you read a magazine, your gun uses a clip. Thank you folks for some great information... Dano

Theohazard

Dano4734 said:
you read a magazine, your gun uses a clip
Technically, your Glock doesn't use a clip. These are clips:

ar15-Stripper-Clips.jpg

But we all knew what you meant, so it's not really a big deal.

As for your original question; make sure to watch out for bullet setback. Like others have said, the only real issue is with over-pressure reloads or rounds where the bullet has been pushed back into the case (bullet setback). With carry guns, bullet setback usually happens when you're chambering and un-chambering rounds repeated as you load and un-load your carry gun on a daily basis. That's one of the main reasons I just leave my carry gun in the holster all the time and rarely unload it. But if you do, just periodically make sure that all the cartridges are still the same length. The easiest way to do this is to unload your mag and line up all the rounds to make sure they're all the same length, and then get rid of any that are shorter because the bullet is pushed back into the case.

Dano4734

hey

great advice Theo, I will do that for sure. It goes back to my dad a wwii vet. They always used clips because of the m1 so the term stuck with guys my age.

Last edited:

colbad

Actually the best way to avoid creating a bullet set back issue is once the round is ejected it does not go back into the magazine. I just toss mine into the practice bucket and top off with new.

Theohazard

colbad said:
Actually the best way to avoid creating a bullet set back issue is once the round is ejected it does not go back into the magazine. I just toss mine into the practice bucket and top off with new.
Yeah, that's probably the best way to do it, but that's not practical for a lot of people. If you're someone who unloads their carry gun every evening, that means you're going through one round of premium self-defense ammo a day, and that's something a lot of people don't want to do because of the extra cost.

It usually takes multiple chamberings to cause bullet setback; you don't need to get rid of a round after only one chambering. Just check each round for bullet setback before you re-load it into the magazine.

Sevens

Agree with what you said but it's my firm opinion that unloading a defense gun daily is a bad idea in general and I'd suggest a different game plan.

agent109

The correct nomenclature is "MAGAZINE BOX"....:cool: Bullet set back is another flaw in the 9x19 tapered cartridge design also.