A set of S&W Magnums with ivory grips

nate45

I have always been a fan of Elmer Keith, the man who's experiments led to such revolver cartridges as the .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and of course the .44 Magnum.

He preferred carved ivory magnas for stocking his S&W Magnums. In fact the first .44 that S&W sent him he had the 6.5 inch barrel cut to 4.5 and had it fully engraved by the old Gun Reblue Co. It like his other .44's wore ivory magnas with a steer head carved on the right side.

I like the feel of the magna grip on an S&W and have always thought ivory looked pretty snazzy.

One day I had the idea of putting together a set of S&W's of the J,K, and N frames and stocking them with ivory magnas. I would have include an L frame, but I wanted them to be pinned and recessed or at least the j-frame would be pinned and fro the same era. At first it was going to be a Model 29-2, 19-2 and a Model 36, but it just didn't seem right.

Then I got a J-framed .22 Magnum Model 51-1 with a 3.5 barrel that was made in 1971 and being as its both pinned and recessed and a magnum a plan came together. I could not afored to have the grips or the guns engraved, but they still look pretty cool.

Now I submit for you're viewing pleasure elephant ivory gripped, pinned and recessed S&W Magnums.

100_0219.jpg

M57-1-1.jpg

The N-frame is a Model 57 .41 Magnum, that was shipped in 1980, I bought it a couple of years ago ANIC(as new in the case). It is pictured here with two 230 grain Keith types over 17.5 grains of 2400 and WLP primers and a 210 grain Gold Dot over 22 grains of H-110 and CCI 350 primer. It is remarkably accurate with both loads.

19-2a-1.jpg

The K-frame is a Model 19-2 .357 Combat Magnum that shipped in 1965. I got it several years ago it had no box, but looked as though it had hardly ever been shot. It is pictured with 3 180 grain Nosler Partition-HG's over 14 grains of H-110 and CCI 550 primers.

100_0183-1.jpg

Last, but not least the Model 51-1 .22 Magnum that was shipped in 1971. It is a rare and hard to come by little pistol.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little homage to Elmer and the great blued, pinned and recessed S&Ws of the sadly now gone past.

100_0182-1.jpg

Ivory Grips

Thank you Nate for sharing those beautiful pictures of your treasures. I'm of the opinion that Ivory is the King of handgun grip material. And when matched with a blued handgun is as about as close to heaven as one can get. Great pics Nate!

rogertc1

Looks so white for Ivory. The Ivory on my gun has small cracks and is kinda off white. Beautiful against the blue.

WIN71

Ebony and Ivory

You can almost see that little guy with the big hat when you look at those !

And I wouldn't be leaving them lay around any flightless birds if I were you........

Very nice

Tom2

Whaddya mean it is infected? Actually I like the ivories that have just started to turn a bit off white I guess. But the photos don't show the grain of the ivory which is really more appealing than they look here. Actually if it was me, I would go ahead and have some steer heads carved into ivory grips and maybe a little red ruby inlaid for the eye(s).

DMacLeod

Every time I click this thread A web sheild alert comes up. Thread Detected

threat name; Exploit Windows Metafile (CVE-2005-2124) with unknown payload

Now I'm no computer wizz but something must be up if my antivirus picks it up. ?????

nate45

If you had a 17 inch MacBookPro like I do you wouldn't have a virus problem.:)

Although I can't imagine how pics I posted from my photo bucket account are causing it either.

DMacLeod

also calls out file name; i267.photobucket.com/albums/22296/nate45auto/100_0219.jpg

Like I said, I'm not a computer genious but something must be up :confused:

jhgreasemonkey

Those are very nice. This brings up a question I have. I own an old s&w with ivory grips but am not sure they are real ivory. How does a guy tell this?

nate45

How does a guy tell this?

You can use the hot pin test, take the grips off and get a straight pin read hot. Then press the pin on the inside of the grip. If it is real ivory, it will NOT penetrate and only leave a tiny mark. If it is plastic or resin it will crater and smell like burning plastic. Real ivory will smell like a burning tooth.

Thats the only real way to tell, ivory varies a lot in color and the amount of grain it has. The grips on my pistols are very white with little grain, but you can see it, I took these pictures indoors with a flash and it did not pick up the grain.

The ivory diamond inlays in this set of grips on my .44 or also very white with fine grain.

100_0297.jpg

jhgreasemonkey

You can use the hot pin test, take the grips off and get a straight pin read hot. Then press the pin on the inside of the grip. If it is real ivory, it will NOT penetrate and only leave a tiny mark. If it is plastic or resin it will crater and smell like burning plastic.
Awesome. Thanks. I am going to try this tonight. :)

jhgreasemonkey

Well I did the test and it burrowed itself into the grip leaving a small hole and left some white dust flaking off. Mine must be some kind of resin. Oh well. Thanks for the tip. :)