A season with the 260 and the Burris FFII

603Country

This deer season is almost over here in central Texas, and I've spent pretty much all of this season with my beloved Sako 270 in the safe and the Ruger Compact in 260 in my hands. The compact rifle now has a full sized synthetic stock, so that it'd fit me a bit better, and I put a Burris FFII in 4.5X14 on it. I'm a Leupold guy mostly, but my curiosity about Burris FFII scopes, combined with my lack of available funds at that time, caused me to buy the Burris. Early in this experiment I thought the scope zero was wandering a bit, but maybe that was all the various parts working their way into their final position. After that bit of worry, all has been just fine since. I've used that rifle/scope combo for coyote, hogs, and deer from 50 yards to 390 yards. I guess the final test was the week in the hands of the 17 year old grandson, and it passed with no problems. I checked the POI the day after he left, and all is right where it should be. The Burris, which has great optical clarity and brightness, has officially passed the probationary period. And the 260 seems to kill em just as dead as the 270, even with that thin and stumpy little 16 1/2 inch barrel spitting smaller (120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips) and slower bullets.