A savage dilemma?

Hello123

Let me throw out three guns to you and see which you would bite on. All are Savages. The caliber will be .308.
1st: The Euro Version.
http://www.savagearms.com/14EuroClassic.htm
Advantage: Iron sights, Monte Carlo stock aligns to the eye easier.
Disadvantage: Would prefer the satin finish of the American, not stainless, no muzzle brake

2nd: The American Classic version.
http://www.savagearms.com/14u.htm
Advantage: Good looking, classic stock should have less perceived recoil, detachable box magazine.
Disadvantages: No iron sights (which I prefer if the scope fails), blued steel less weather worthy than stainless.

3rd: The weather warrior.
http://www.savagearms.com/16fhsak.htm
Advantage: Stainless/synthetic combo more weather resistant, that muzzle brake that can be turned on or off (recoil reduction or keep your hearing)
Disadvantage: No iron sights, not as good looking as the American Classic, synthetic does not feel as good as a wood stock.

Weigh in, which would you choose and why?

Last edited:

fisherman66

Which is more important to you...Stainless Steel or Iron Sites? That seems to be the boiled down problem, am I right?

I prefer a blue gun myself, but it's not really much of a problem 'round here.

I like the classic stock, but that to is JMO.

I never like to think of adding a new baby to the safe as a dilemma.

dgludwig

You're dilemma is classic because none of the three have everything I'd want and all of the three have something I wouldn't want. What I want, Savage already offers (or used to, haven't checked lately): the 116SE (classic, walnut stock, s/s action and barrel, open sights, on/off muzzle brake and a nice recoil pad to boot). The only real drawbacks are the limited caliber choices (mine is chambered in .338 Win. Mag.) and a relatively heavy weight.

I guess I'd opt for the Weather Warrior if it were me for the following reasons: It is s/s (can't make an already blue model stainless) and it has the on/off brake. Though probably too impractical, you could always change stocks and add open sights.

Big-Foot

I'd take the 14 American Classic too. I guess I didn't see the .308 caliber listed in the original question, a 7lb 308 won't need a muzzle brake at all. It shouldn't even need a better recoil pad, but you can add one if needed.

tarheellefty

No muzzle brake for me -esp ina non-magnum.If you are serious about irons for back up , spend a little $ and get an aperature rear sight -Many times better than the open ones you'd get from factory.

Fremmer

1. Caliber: avoid the WSM calibers unless there is a special need for them. Looks like all three are available in .308, which is a great caliber.

2. Muzzle break: avoid it. Muzzle break = LOUD, especially when you are hunting and not wearing ear protection. Your ears, hunting pals, and every live animal in the vicinity will appreciate the absence of a muzzle break. We don't like those breaks at the range, either. And the recoil from a .308 won’t require a muzzle break.

3. Iron sights. Probably a matter of personal preference, although I would note that if you buy quality mount, rings, and scope, the scope failure rate will be very low.

4. Stock style: Probably a matter of personal preference. Buy what feels best to you. Perceived difference in recoil will be in the shoulder of the beholder (style will probably not affect this much). Use a scope w/an objective of 44 mm or less so that you can use low mounts, which will provide good cheek/stock weld regardless of whether you have a classic or monte style of stock.

5. Stock material. Up to you. IMHO, nothing beats the feel/look of wood, but we're talking about a Savage stock, so the look of the wood is less of a factor here. :p I've never had a wood stock warp (even when wet/humid), but others have, and the synthetic will weigh slightly less.

6. Stainless vs. blued: it is up to you. You won't "need" a stainless barrel/action unless you are hunting in humid, far-away places for an extended period of time and may be unable to tend to the gun at the end of the day, or unless you live in and store the gun in an exceptionally humid place. If you get your blued gun wet, it will be fine if you wipe it off w/oil at the end of the day. Be aware that I've observed the stainless steel barrel of another hunter's gun from about 600 yards away, and it looked like a glowing wand in the bright morning sun. If I could see it, I'm sure a deer could, too.

7. Box magazine: IMHO, just another thing to lose. Not much quicker than manually stuffing a couple of rounds in an internal mag. Handy when you are getting in and out of the truck. May or may not feed as reliably as an internal mag.

Hope this helps. I would probably buy the American Classic.

Last edited: