A S&W Pre-17 Non-Model stamped Four Screw K-22 Found

Hammer It

Hello
I have hunted Hard for a Four screw Pre-17 for a long time now and finally found the Right One to add to my S&W Revolver collection. The Four screw version K-22s that are not Model stamped 17 in their crane frame area are a Tough find. The reason for this is that S&W dropped the upper side plate screw on the Five screw versions sometime in late 1955 making all K-22s after that Four Screw variations, but in 1957 they started stamping all of their guns with model number's stamped into them and the K-22 got the Model 17 number assigned to it from there forward. That means in order to find a Pre-17 Four screw variation Non Model stamped K-22 Master piece they only had a less than Two year Production run of them leave the factory, and I was Pleased to locate this example.

I found this gun the day before Father's day so it was kind of a Father's Day present to myself. It shipped out of the Factory in June 1956 to the Shapleigh hardware store in St. Louis, MO which was a Huge S&W stocking Dealer back then and evidently was Logged into their inventory in July 1956 as the box bottom shows Being 55 Year's Ago.. From there it Laid around until April 11, 1958 as the sales slip shows it sold to a Doctor C. Marano for the Sum of $40.00. It came to me with it's original Box, Tools, and paperwork as shown and the Magna stocks shown on it are serial numbered to the gun.

It is out of my Current S&W Collecting Interest to purchase anything other than Five screw Pre-Model stamped S&W revolver's but since this was a Non-Model stamped Pre-17 and that it had such a short production run I felt it a worthy find to add to my others....The gun appears to have only Been Factory fired so the Good Doctor that originally purchased it must have been far too busy to enjoy it...Cheers, Hammer It.

1956SWK-22Boxpaperworkandtools005.jpg

1956SWK-22Boxpaperworkandtools011.jpg

1956SWK-22Boxpaperworkandtools010.jpg

1956SWK-22Boxpaperworkandtools022.jpg

1956SWK-22Boxpaperworkandtools015.jpg

1956SWK-22Boxpaperworkandtools014.jpg

Last edited:

glenncal1

Hammer-once again another great score. Thank god for people that bought guns new and for whatever reason never shot them.

mikejonestkd

A beautiful k-22, thanks for sharing it with us! i have three k-22s and they are among my favorites to take out to the range.

Hammer, i am off this weekend to go try out the prewar 38/44 that my brother picked up last week, pics to follow soon. Thanks for your help.

hornetguy

What an absolutely marvelous handgun...

I'm assuming you had to pay more than $40 for it...:rolleyes:

Congratulations!

Venom1956

Thats awesome. I wish I could find a nice K-22 to spar with my Colt. :D They seem superior to M17s in every way.

Winchester_73

Congrats on a fine S&W

When I read the title of this thread, I thought "wait a min, that almost should not exist...oh wait, it would since the 5th screw was stopped BEFORE the model numbers....that makes it scarce....only made for a year or 2, I wanna see the pics and read this one.....<clicks> oh no wonder...Kurt 'hammers it' again...haha" Nice find.

Proof yet again that the good ones are out there. The search goes on...

Hammer It

Hello All
Thanks for the Kind words I appreciate them. It is nice that we can share these guns with other's on such a fine Internet sight as this one....;) Hammer It