A Rifle Caliber Dilemma

handlerer2

What a bind I find myself in!

My wife wants to buy me a rifle for our 1st anniversary. I want a Cooper, Jackson Hunter, the chambering is my dilemma, I contracted magnum fever back about 1975, when I caught a sale on a MDL700 in 7mag. Then a BAR 300WM. Now I own and reload for, amoung others, 300WBY, 340WBY.

When I was showing my wife the rifles on Coopers website, I for the first time saw that Cooper now offers a new model 57 chambered in 264WM, 7mmSTW, 300HH, 300WBY,and 340 WBY, also , 270WBY, and 7mmWBY. I immediately became intrigued with 7mmSTW.

Before this I was really considering the Model 56 in 280AI. I already have all te magnum power I'll ever use, but have and always have had a fascination, with grossly overpowered guns, cars and women.

I think the 280AI is a very interesting chambering, and would like reload for this and hunt with it.

My real questions are does anyone know anything more about the Cooper Model 57, and the pros and cons between 280AI and 7mmSTW, such as premium brass availability.

I appreciate any input, opinions, or critiques. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

LordTio3

.308 (aka the 7.62x51 NATO).
308winx300.png

1_rifles_remington_700_sps_tactical_37993.jpg

swsrifle.gif

M14.jpg

socom.jpg

You're welcome.

~LT

jimbob86

Taylor and Tio- True, he did say "any" input.......

I appreciate any input, opinions, or critiques. Thanks guys.

But I think he was referring to input dealing w/ either the .280AI or 7STW...... not your fan-boy votes.

On the 7mm STW (I believe the STW stands for "Shoots Through Wisconsin") .... unless you are hunting Brown bears or light armored vehichles, this thing is overkill ........ and as obnoxious as hell at the range. You can get the same ludicrous levels of heavy bullet velocity (3100+ with a 175 gr bullet!) with just a bit more inefficiency (98 grains of powder as opposed to merely 89!) by moving up to the 7mm Ultramag ..... and you won't have that stupid belt on the case!

If "Too Much is Never Enough" is your thing, then the .280 AI is not gonna float your Battleship, Mon Frere ..... you'll get roughly 100 f/sec more out of the AI than the standard version....... around 3,030 f/sec for a 150 grainer or 2,775 for a 175 .......but you'll do that 2775 with just over 1/2 the powder needed for the Shoots Through Wisconsin.......

78 charges out of a pound of powder? REALLY? What's the point of buying it by the pound? You'd burn the pound before you had a load worked up! I suspect the propellant companies had a hand in urging these gaints into the market...... but hey: If conspicuous consumption and obnoxious decibels (make sure you get a muzzle brake on that thing to distribute the obnoxiousness up and down the line, instead of wasting all that expensive noise downrange) are what you are after, then I'd go with the UltraMag...... no I wouldn't..... I would not go that direction. At all. And if I did, I'd go all the way and go .50 BMG.

handlerer2

Yo, Jim bob, it's Shooting Times Westerner, and do they allow the shooting of magnum rifles in Wisconsin?

I really considering stepping it down a notch, in muzzle energy. The Weatherbies, are fun but hurt at the bench. They slay mule deer like flipping a switch. I want something a little more fun to shoot and with Coopers .5 MOA guarantee, sounds like fun, and I can always drive it over if not perfect, oh, no sales tax in Montana, just thinking of my wife.

Any opinions on Nosler Brass? I've used Norma and Lapua ,223 & Weatherby. Tried some Rem 300 WBY and very disappointed. Not sure id 280 or AI is available through Lapua or Norma.

Thanks again fellers.

jmr40

Nothing wrong with magnum chamberings if you an handle them. It seems like you already have plenty of rifles in magnum chamberings. The 7mm STW seems like a pretty big step up over the 7mm Rem mag, at least on paper. I'd be tempted to try something else and go 280 just to be different.

Eghad

The 7mm STW is pretty comparable to the 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum and made it to the commercial cartridge stage. I remeber reading articles on it back in the late 70s early 80s. Would be good for elks and game of that size too.