A really small grip for a Taurus 605 snubby. Where can I find one?

Garand Illusion

I now have 3 grips for my Taurus 605 (grips are same as Taurus 85):

The rubber one that came on it.
A Hogue monogrip.
A wooden Taurus 85 grip (which is currently on it).

What I would like, though, is a super slim grip like you can find on some S&W snubbys that is really just two panels to fit between the front strap, backstrap and bottom. With this the Taurus would be much more easily concealable and I have no doubt I could handle it, at least with .38.

Anyone know where I can find such grips? If I don't find some soon I'm going to start cutting on the wooden grip I have with a scroll saw and a dremel tool, but it will look like heck and still be fatter than it needs to be.

Thanks!

Dave85

If you are talking about the old-timey, wafer-thin slivers the J-frames came with way back in the day; I spent some considerable time looking for that myself. No luck. I actually picked up a pair of S&W grips to see if they could be fitted to my M85. Never have gotten around to the project.

LarryH

J frame grips won't work on a Taurus. Pop the grips off your 605. See that stupid little hole in the side of the frame? J frame grips won't cover that hole. The grip pin is also in a different location.

I'm guessing this is the type you have...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMITH-WESSON-SW...ryZ39425QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The older Taurus guns came with grips like these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Smith-W...ryZ39425QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...they extend about 1/2" below the grip frame, fill in the back of the trigger guard and have an open back strap. I have a pair on my 85 that i found on e-bay. I paid $10 for them. I tried them on my 605 and they work with .38 +p's but a couple cylinder full of magnums were about all i really cared to shoot through it. I see them on e-bay from time to time.

Garand Illusion

Awesome replies! Thanks!

Larry H. -- you've exactly defined what I have and what I want.

I may purchase from that kellyarms.com site. I like the secret service at the other site, but I'm afraid that buying one of those would be a rather large percentage of what I paid for the gun.

And now that I have some sources ... I still may go to work on my existing grip with a saw and a dremel tool. Looks aren't that important to me, but I do want something that doesn't look like a street punk bought it for $2.

I even thought of just wrapping the frame of the handle in some think rubber I have, but talk about looking low life ...

kristop64089

Glag I checked out this thread. Ordered a set of rosewood boot grips from kellyarms. $34.95 + $6 shipping. Thats the cheapest I have found yet.

Wasn't real personnable on the phone tho.:(

Garand Illusion

I just wanted to add a final post in case someone finds this while researching for a good grip for a Taurus small frame (Taurus 85, 605, etc.)

I installed my bootgrip from kelleyarms today, came within days of ordering it, and so far I am very impressed. fits well and is about as small as it's possible to get. A little thinner than any of the other grips I've had, including the stock 85 wooden grip from Taurus. The back strap and bottom strap are both revealed so it's no larger than it has to be (doesn't extend past either the bottom or the back of the frame), and while it does fill in some space between the handle and trigger guard this is worthwhile, as the finger indent is good since you can only get 2 fingers around it (at least with mitts the size of mine).

Very impressed. Also nice and smooth so shouldn't catch when carrying CCW.

I'm sure it won't be fun to shoot magnums with this tiny grip, but you know what ... if I'm shooting magnums, either it's a few practice rounds at the range or something really bad is happening and the beating my hand is taking is the least of my concerns!

I now have 4 grips for a Taurus model 85 style. Guess it's time to start posting on Ebay since I've found the one I really wanted ... :D

Edit: This grip also comes the closest to getting out of the way of a speedloader. The stock 85 wooden grip was 2nd best, but this one is a little thinner in that area.

Last edited: