• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

A Rant

Mikeyboy

I see a thread in tactics and training about using two pistols with two hands. I write a great reply using historical data and links that takes me 15 mintutes to write, time I should be doing my job. I go to post...no wait, spell check first to make my post a step above...OK and I push submit....thread is closed???? What happened??? Must have happened in the 15 minutes while I was typing my post. Must be something serious. Did someone say post a dirty word, slander someone, or break another TFL rule??? No in just two short pages, most of which was taken up by a hiccup post error, the thread was was thought to have "Run it Course" and closed. Wow, we can go on for weeks discussing proper use of the English language (again this is a SWAT/Gun forum), and we can be showing pics of our weapons for almost a year now, but one active discussion about an actual shooting tactic, on the tactics and training forum mind you, gets closed for no good reason. Do not want to get anyone in trouble, but it is just annoying.

Last edited:

GlocksRfun

I agree with u, I just saw how many of the threads I've responded to that were shut down. I like to think that most of the time they're shut down for good reason, maybe I gotta rethink my theory..

In general, we post a reason for closing.

In this case, Denny Hansen posted:
Question: Is it practical?
Answer: No, but it can be fun.

This one's run its course.
His forum, his call. He has no way of knowing who's composing at the time of the closing.

We do the best we can.
Rich

Mikeyboy

Just a little warning would be nice. :) Dare I say, I had an interesting response that is lost forever in cyberspace, bringing up historical tactics used by pirates and 1860's gunslingers. But hey, who want to hear that when there is an thread regarding Liberian Militia that started with obvious racist (rules??) overtones is still able to continue.

In my frustration I also noticed that multiple threads started by one member were shut down for "dare I say" minor, almost nit-picking reasons, while other rule breaking threads are allowed to stay open. I don't get it?

MB-
We are not omnipresent. Staff gets paid nothing. They have no vested interest other than a civil board. They don't read every single word of every single post. They don't catch every single transgression. They are not house servants.

I'm sorry if you feel you wasted your time on one post. Imagine the time we waste on thousands.
Rich

tyme

Administrator
MB, if the forums reject the reply because the thread is closed, go back a page, copy your reply, and save it as a text document. If you feel like it later, you can start a new thread (as long as it's topical) or post it as a reply to another similar thread that hasn't been sidetracked.

I do that a lot, and not just when the thread has been closed. I have about 50 saved posts that for one reason or another I never posted here.

czc3513

I am sorry to hear that Mikeyboy.
Did you save your text?
People like you, that take time and put effort into making their posts as accurate as possible, help to make this site "The leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts."
Thank you. :)

Last edited: