A random assault at a Japanese Mall

Shorts

Japanese do some very gruesome crimes without the use of guns. Read 'The Japan Times' (national newspaper) and you'll find JPN are just as violent as Americans. I think politicians/lawmakers are either ignorant to these world ongoings or are conveniently blind, which works great for them so they can push their anti-gun agenda. That's why citizens need to educate themselves so they can refute and disagree with substance.

I've lived in Japan the last 2 years and the things we see in the news is just as bad as in the States. Elderly woman chopped up her husband and put his body parts in multiple bags; left them all over the city. Woman, beaten and dumped in her trunk; car set on fire. Drunk driver plows family of 5 off the road; SUV lands in icy river and all die. Or they just go crazy like in your two stories there. For every one story that make it to the US there is another 5 you don't hear about.

Vehicles and knives are the weapons of choice here.

Darren007

I agree with Shorts....I lived in Japan for 5 years. Some of the stuff that happens over there is crazy. Thailand and Korea were the same.

Having lived in several foreign countries through the years, I believe that America gets the bad rap coz were honest about our crime rates. I truly believe your not always getting the truth or the whole story from foreign goverments when it comes to things like crime. "You just dont hear about it".

The thing thats driving me nuts right now ( and when I was stationed in Japan) is the protests in Okinawa over crimes commited by U.S. Military personnel. Now, dont get me wrong... Crime commited by anyone is bad. But funny how the residents never seem to mention that crimes commited by Okinawans AGAINST Military personnel is about 10x higher.

Shorts

^^ Ohh man, the backlash against the US Military for any crime is vastly out of proportion compared to a Japanese national committing the same crime. Much of that blame goes to the anti-military politicians in power at current, but is fed by ongoing resentment from locals bred since '45. Any little thing they can throw against the US is like gasoline on the fire.

The favoritism is blatant it makes you think a bit. On the other hand, the JMSDF and JSDF counterparts seem to not harbor the same resentments as some non-military JPN nationals do - at least the ones we're in contact with. That's hopeful.

Darren007

Once again I completley agree Shorts!!!

But I also put some of the blame on the Base Commanders stationed there. Who, in my exp, tend to look the other way when personnel have a grievance against a Foreign National of whatever country you happen to be in. Auto accidents were a big one....I know many a person, including myself, that got hosed by the Japanese for accidents that were not their fault.

I also agree with youre statement about JSDF. Nothing bad to say about them. I think part of their attitude comes from just the camaderie of being military. It was always cool working with the JASDF, the very few times we did.

Last edited:

Wildalaska

Having lived in several foreign countries through the years, I believe that America gets the bad rap coz were honest about our crime rates

So anecdotal evidence trumps? ;)

The thing thats driving me nuts right now ( and when I was stationed in Japan) is the protests in Okinawa over crimes commited by U.S. Military personnel. Now, dont get me wrong... Crime commited by anyone is bad. But funny how the residents never seem to mention that crimes commited by Okinawans AGAINST Military personnel is about 10x higher.

Got some stats? or is this thread just an excuse for some gratuitous asian bashing.

WildinsanekillersareeverywhereAlaska TM

uncballzer

I CALL FOR A BAN ON ALL KNIFES! Kitchen knifes, pocket knifes, utility knifes, fake swords, toy swords even so that way our children don't know what a knife is . . . . .

sound eerily familiar? :eek:

YankeeRebel

I remember hearing on a talk show that in Japan when papasan comes home mad and offs momasan, the kids and then himself, it is reported/counted as a suicide. If true, then remember that we count/report it as a murder/suicide.

Darren007

So anecdotal evidence trumps?

Huh???.....Trumps my belief???. Sorry, If you havent lived in a foreign country then dont even try. And when I say lived, I dont mean somebodys 2 week vacation in Tokyo, or their 1 month backpacking trip around Europe. If you havent lived there, then you will never see or hear about the things I'm referring to and others I havent even mentioned.

Got some stats? or is this thread just an excuse for some gratuitous asian bashing.

Yeah, its called a police blotter. Received once a week from the local Japanese Police as well as the Security Forces (MPs) on base.

Got a point? Or was your post just an excuse for a weak attempt at moral authority peppered with sarcasm??

Where was there any Asian "bashing"???

Garand Illusion

I've never lived in Japan, but over the years I've had a number of Japanese friends and known Americans who have spent years living there.

They all agree that Japan is an amazingly safe place overall. There are no neighborhoods so bad that you can't walk through them at night, and random violence against individuals is rare.

My point is ... when it comes to something like a random mass killing, which takes a HUGE level of insanity, Japan and every country suffers from those. Guns are a common tool used by mass murderers, but not the most effective tool by far (compare Oklahoma bombing or 9/11 to a columbine or VT). Japan has crazy people too, and these things happen. But just like they are extremely rare in the US they are extremely rare in Japan. But they happen.

I have heard the comments on suicide/someone killing a family and then killing themselves a number of times before and believe that is true (only counted as a suicide). Suicide is common in japan and almost societally accepted. Sad but true.

Ohh man, the backlash against the US Military for any crime is vastly out of proportion compared to a Japanese national committing the same crime. Much of that blame goes to the anti-military politicians in power at current, but is fed by ongoing resentment from locals bred since '45. Any little thing they can throw against the US is like gasoline on the fire

Agreed.

The only place in Asia I ever saw blatent discrimination against American's was in Japan.

Many times I was confronted with a "Japanese Citizens Only" sign at the front of a store or bar in towns near US Military bases.

Shorts

cool hand luke 22:36, Japan is a very racist (nationalist?) country. Any outsider is a threat and any outsider that can speak the language is an even bigger threat. Language is the advantage they have and once that is gone, they lose a lot of their control.

As for the "No Americans" signs, in some regards I don't blame them sometimes. There are some Americans that truly get out of hand because, well they're idiots and I wouldn't want them in my place :eek: On the other hand, it hits a little nerve to be blatantly discriminated against and not be able to protest, so to speak, since in the US, that's exactly what would happen. It just doesn't work that way here. On a side note, a few of us have been allowed into several of these establishments when vouched for and were with a well-standing Japanese counterpart.

Don't misunderstand these 'ugly' statements that have been made about what goes on in Japan here in this thread. They are real and it is not "Asian bashing" to observe so. It is the part that goes with the "the good & the bad". Any level-headed person who can reasonably establish themselves within the culture and function can be witness. Much of this 'ugly' is seen right outside the base. It is so because there is like this bubble that encompasses businesses, people and their attitudes within the US base range. Get out past that, into areas where if you walk into a noodle shop, the entire place goes silent to turn and look at the gaijin who just walked in (lol), it is good. One still must act and talk appropriately, and they will still have reservations until proven otherwise.

Japan is a good country. But don't be disillusioned believing it is purely Wonderland.

Darren007

The "No Americans" signs were all over the place in Misawa city. And I agree with Shorts. A lot of Americans over there can act really stupid sometimes, and are without a doubt the cause for some resentment by the Japanese. Those signs never really bothered me though. As anyone who has been to Japan can attest, for every bar with one of those signs, there are 10 bars that will let you in!! And besides I always had the attitude that, "this is their home, Im a guest, they can do whatever they want". But it does start to wear on you after awhile.

However, there were many examples I can give that are examples of blatant racism on the part of not only the Japanese, but other countries I've lived in. Believe me, if you think America is bad, go live in another country where racism is never talked about but a widely accepted practice.

Don't misunderstand these 'ugly' statements that have been made about what goes on in Japan here in this thread. They are real and it is not "Asian bashing" to observe so. It is the part that goes with the "the good & the bad". Any level-headed person who can reasonably establish themselves within the culture and function can be witness. Much of this 'ugly' is seen right outside the base. It is so because there is like this bubble that encompasses businesses, people and their attitudes within the US base range. Get out past that, into areas where if you walk into a noodle shop, the entire place goes silent to turn and look at the gaijin who just walked in (lol), it is good. One still must act and talk appropriately, and they will still have reservations until proven otherwise.

Japan is a good country. But don't be disillusioned believing it is purely Wonderland.

I agree, despite my observations and in some cases resentment towards specific things I exp., I loved being in Asia. I hadnt set foot in the U.S. in 7 years and when it was finally time for me to go home, I didnt want to leave!!!:p

Willie D

Fishing for and using stories of people's deaths to suit your own (pro-gun) ends is just as scummy as when anti gunners do it for theirs. It doesn't even help the pro-gun cause because in any side by side comparison, the crazy with a gun almost always gets a higher score than the one with a knife/bat/sword/car.

Re: Japan

Yes, they are a totally homogenic society that looks down on other races. That said, attitudes around and against US Military bases there and worldwide are usually harsher than against civilians. Face it, 19 year old sailors just might not be our best ambassadors. Even if they were here to "protect my ass" I wouldn't welcome foreign troops of any nationality.

Garand Illusion

Fishing for and using stories of people's deaths to suit your own (pro-gun) ends is just as scummy as when anti gunners do it for theirs. It doesn't even help the pro-gun cause because in any side by side comparison, the crazy with a gun almost always gets a higher score than the one with a knife/bat/sword/car.

I don't disagree with your last part that a crazy with a gun can often get a higher kill rate than one with a different weapon, but most often they are self limiting anyway. Most commit suicide before they are out of ammunition and long before the police get there. i.e. NIU, VT, columbine, etc. And the highest mass murder "scores" in this country are still non-gun:

• Largest school massacre: Bath, MI, 1928, done with explosives
  • Largest act of terrorism of any kind: 9/11, done with box cutters.
  • Largest death toll of domestic terrorism: Okalahoma City, done with a truck/fertilizer bomb

But the anti's main battle cry is that the "gun culture" is what is causing the violence in this country. This is what we have to fight. And I think it's completely legitimate to point out that it doesn't take a gun to be a murderer or a successful mass murderer, it just takes the will.

Realization that the greatest mass murders in US history were not gun related AND that a lack of guns does not stop mass murders is a powerful fact to use against the anti's.

Because for the anti's the answer to everything is "gun regulation" and the cause for everything is the "gun culture."

It's the culture of violence we need to deal with, not the "gun culture."

I might get this printed on a t-shirt. Any objections?

Of course not. I'm sure you can make it a little more clear than that.

Shorts

But the anti's main battle cry is that the "gun culture" is what is causing the violence in this country. This is what we have to fight. And I think it's completely legitimate to point out that it doesn't take a gun to be a murderer or a successful mass murderer, it just takes the will.

Realization that the greatest mass murders in US history were not gun related AND that a lack of guns does not stop mass murders is a powerful fact to use against the anti's.

Because for the anti's the answer to everything is "gun regulation" and the cause for everything is the "gun culture."

Re: Japan

Yes, they are a totally homogenic society that looks down on other races. That said, attitudes around and against US Military bases there and worldwide are usually harsher than against civilians. Face it, 19 year old sailors just might not be our best ambassadors. Even if they were here to "protect my ass" I wouldn't welcome foreign troops of any nationality.

Well said on both.