A quick question about sighting in

shafter

I just got back from the range with my Winchester 94. I had my Williams 5D Peep sight and my new taller front sight. At 25yds I was placing them right in the 10 ring and was grouping them really well. At 50yrds I was about an inch or two high as expected but was still grouping well. Now at 100yrds I was shooting really high like maybe 5 inches. Do you think it's just me? I'll admit I haven't shot the gun much and maybe just need to practice more. I'd like to be able to shoot this gun really well at 100rds.
Anyway 100rds is the longest shot I can concieve of in my area and most are much shorter. If you can think of something I might be doing wrong let me know

kraigwy

Depends on the size of the 10 ring. A hundred yard SR1 target has a ten ring about 2 inches. So to keep them in the ten ring at 25 yards you'd have to keep then with in 1/2 inch to shoot the 2 MOA.

Now measure your group at 25 yards, multiply it times 4 and that is what you should be shooting at 100 yards. If not, then I would think its the the shooter.

The problem with 25 yard shooting, its too hard to determine what will happen at extended ranges. People think because the bullets touch, then its good. Measuring the group, then multiplying it times 4 will give you a MOA reading.

I only shoot 25 yards to get on paper, then move out. Actually I like to do my sighting in at 300 yards. You get a better ideal. Anything past 300 then you are testing the wind reading abilities of the shooter and not the gun/ammo.

Having said that, figure out the farthest you'll be hunting and sight the gun in accordingly.

deadeye1122

I seem to have the same problem as the OP but with a scope.Ruger m77-44 shoots 2 in high at 50 yrds with 2 different shooters. We think should be close to on at 100 but 4-5 in high. Ballistic table ,if read correctly,says 1.7 in high at 50 should be on at 100. Out tommorow winter storm depending to double check. thx deadeye. just a thought the scope was a used gift but history is unknown. It did boresite nice though. thx

shafter

I think it is because at 25 and 50 yards I can easily see the small red dot in the bullseye. At 100 yards the whole target looks small and it's harder to aim at the very center. I think practice and more practice is what's needed.

James R. Burke

I agree with Kraigwy. I sight in at 100 yards which would be a far shot here. I then check it out at 25 yards and fifty, and sometimes a little farther just to know what it is doing. I do a lot of practice on the bench and free arm. I think it does build your confidence. I reload so I can shoot a fair amount. I know lots of folks are a bit limited on the cost etc. But try to get out has much as you can.

Buzzcook

I think practice and more practice is what's needed.

You're a fast learner.

3 moa is still good for a Model 94. Get a target that is easier to see.

Get off the bench as soon as you can and shoot standing, sitting, and prone.

bamaranger

"on" at 100

I'd set that Winlin up for "on" at 100. I'd do it by adjusting my sights till the group is falling on the point of aim as shot and held at 100.

A good 100 yd target for me and peep sights is a white 9" pie plate, set/stapled on a dark background. The bead sets on it nicely, or you can perch the plate on top of the bead and adjust for a bullet strike at 6 o'clock.

A 5" group is not to exciting for 100 yds, certainly enough to take a deer, but I'd think your carbine could do better. Depending on its age and bore/crown condition you may be seeing its best, but I doubt it. Three inches would be my goal. Be sure the bore is CLEAN (as in no copper fouling) and you are using same type of ammo as to mfg and bullet weight. I'd try different ammo too (mfg and bullet weight) before I gave up on it.

Oh yeah, be sure and rest the forearm of the rifle on the front bag and not the barrel/mag tube itself.