a question of stopping power

meat

I am interested in getting a one of the mini-glocks (model 26, 27, 36) for discreet carry when I am hiking. I doubt that I'll be running into to many bears, and if I do I'll throw him my lunch and run. I'm mostly concerned about moutain lions and other wild cats that I usally run into. I'd like to get the glock 26 and here's my reasoning behind it. Wild cat flesh might be more easily penetrated by the higher velocity of the 9mm. (I'm obviously thinking of using a high velocity 9mm load). Now I'm just speculating this because I'm not a ballistics expert. But it seems to me that out of a shorter ultra compact barrel, that the .40 and the .45 probably doesn't have the higher velocity that would be necessary. I know that the 9mm will also have reduced velocity somewhat, but after looking at the performace tables of 9mm, .40, and .45 out of a sub compact, they all seem to be pretty close. It just seems that the 9mm might have the best combination of muzzle velocity and stopping energy for my intended use. Anyone have any ideas if my thinking is correct or real world encounters to share?

Byron Adams

Please consider a revolver, in 357, 41 or 44 mag. Such an animal is very fast and hard to stop. I carry a Glock 26 and find it to be accurate and reliable for personal defense. If the Glock is to be the choice, the 10MM is a good option.

agtman

If the question is "stopping power " while out on the trail...,

... then the answer is something chambered in 10mm Auto. :cool:

Give the G-20 or the G-29 a try, especially the latter if the primary interest is concealability.

1911Ford

If you are not interested in 10mm. Then atleast look at the Glock 33 .357 sig. I think that it would be a good compromise between the 10mm and the 9mm. Can also be had in the same size package as the 9mm G26.