A question for you AK owners

ZeusOne

I have a Saiga rifle in 7.62 x 39. This gun is patterned after the infamous AK/Kalashnikov rifle, and is made by Izhmash in Russia.

The bolt does not/is not designed to stay open on an empty mag. Does a standard AK47/74 hold open after the last round is fired?

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
No they don't, but there are aftermarket hold open devices (essentially a hook that holds open the bolt attached to the safety lever) available form RPB and other mfg's.

If you need a "bolt hold open device" for the range, when you must "unload and show clear", an empty shotgun shell works fine, and is generally accepted by most range officers as a way to show the weapon's action is "open".

I sent an e-mail to RPB about this. I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

None of the Kalashnikov line has a last shot bolt hold open, as far as I know.

But, to be fair, neither do the majority of the roller-locking HK guns (G3, HK33, MP5). The last-shot bolt hold open feature on long guns seems to be an American preferance, not particularly important to the Europeans. Not all FALs had this feature, nor do the FNC series of rifles, AFAIK.

*shrug* You can buy an attachment to manually hold the bolt open. I don't think anyone makes a last shot bolt hold open modification for the AK, but it couldn't be that hard.

ZeusOne

OK, thanks. You can always count on TFLr's for a quick response.

The Saiga does have a button near the trigger that can be used to lock the bolt open. I was just wondering if it lacked a feature present on a standard AK.

Correia

Standard Russian military practice was to load the last three rounds of each magazine with tracer rounds. You get more than one tracer in a row, time to change mags.

The British ground off the bolt hold opens on their L1a's to keep dirt out of the action. So they did not use them either. As Nightcrawler pointed out, the Germans did not utilize them either.

Personally I love bolt hold opens on my rifles, when shooting rapidly the feel of the bolt locking back is usually sufficiently different to let you know that it is time to change mags.

I think that the perfect AK would have a BHO, rear mounted peep sights, and a thumb safety. :)

AK103K

I think the hold open is a little to over emphasized. Either way, when the gun is empty, it stops running. I think under stress, your still going to yank on that trigger, bolt open or not, so it really doesnt matter. You still have to "do" something to get it back in action, whether thats releasing the bolt or cycling it. I think its more a matter of knowing your guns manual of arms and being fluid and comfortable with it. As long as you practice until its done without thinking, it doesnt matter, you'll be back up and running without a thought. Sort of like thinking "guns" and your pistol is in your hand.

Correia,

Your pretty much talking about the Valmet, eh?

Correia

AK, you got me. Either that or a Galil. :)

I have a Vepr. It does not have a BHO. It works like a regular AK.

Aerrin45ACP

I think the reason most people hate rifles without a hold-open is because it shows off their wonderful flinch when they drop the hammer on an empty chamber ;)

amprecon

I prefer the bolt hold open mechanism. To me it's embarassing to click on an empty chamber in my AK. It's an effective way of alerting the user that the gun is empty. I certainly notice it, whether it's really empty or stuck open by a stove-pipe.
Just as a side note the bolt hold open is practically essential for M1 Garand, could you imagine trying to load a Garand without it?

radom

Thats one item that is lacking on a AK for sure. About all you can do is a manual bolt lock as in this picture.

Attachments

• picture 057.jpg
    picture 057.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 85