a question about compacts

meat

I recenently took a friend of mine to the range to try out some compact 9mm handguns. He wants something small. I tried talking him into a full size, let him try one out, and he was still set on getting a compact semiauto (he doesn't want a revolver either. He already owns and shoots a GP-100 :rolleyes: ). So, we rented a few handguns: The kahr K9, the glock 26, the kel-tec, and the Taurus compact PT-911. When we originally went in he had his eyes on the glock 26, but he just found it plain difficult to shoot. He just couldn't get a good grip on the gun. He was bummed. He was really set on getting the glock but found the fit just to awkward for his hands. So we tried the kel-tec and the taurus next. He had the same reaction, He hated the way they felt in his hands. So finally we came to the Kahr K9. Suddenly a strange smile came across my friends face. He was shooting the gun and getting 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 10 yards. He's now in love w/ the K9. Now here comes the question: The main reason my friend was interested in the glock was because of the fine reputation for reliability, ammo capacity, durability, and long service life. Now I know that Kahr's seem to be good guns from reading some past posts, but would you say they are a worthwhile investment compared to the glock? Are they as good as the glock? Will it hold up to the shooting practice and last as long as the glock? I see that the company seems to have great customer service, but is their product really as good as it seems, Bottom line? Thanks in advance.

marca

G26 and/or Kahr

I have a G26 and a Kahr MK9 Elite. I've been very happy with both, have no strong allegiance to any particular brand. The Kahr had to go back to the factory for some minor tweaking but nothing serious.

Last edited:

croyance

I bring mine to the range regularly, and it has held up fine. It feed everything.
If your friend shoots so well with it, and it feels right, I say it is a better choise than the Glock.

Lennyjoe

"If your friend shoots so well with it, and it feels right, I say it is a better choise than the Glock"

I agree 100 percent. Cudos to you meat. You did the right thing by taking him out and trying different models to see which one fits the best. Good job!

jquinteroqs

Meat, You should ask him to shoot with a G19 which is to me the Best all around Glock of all . IT fix will on My hand and is quite reliable.
JQ:D

WillyZ

I would go with the Kahr. There has been in the past a couple of Glocks that have fired the round when the round was not in full battery. The Glocks also don't support the shell casing fully. There is a web site (i forgot the address) that has pictures of what happened. The Glock exploded because it was made out of plastic (NO I don't have a bad feeling towards plastic guns.). I beleive that both guns have polygonal rifling. The other is that Glock forbids using lead bullets. They only want you to use jacketed bullets.

WillyZ

Sundance

I think the Kahr is as good if not better in quality that the Glock. All stainless steel construction (no plastic)...smooth as silk (although longer than the Glock) trigger (not mushy and sproingy like Glock). Tighter slide to frame fit. Thinner profile. Easier to conceal. Metal/not plastic magazines. Made in USA. Every bit as reliable. The deal with Kahr is just like a good quality 1911...occassionally they will need a trip back to the factory for some tweaking that was missed on the assembly line. No big deal. I sent my Kahr back, and they made it right in short order at no cost to me. I have a K9 and MK9...both in Elite 98 format. I would put them up against any 9mm Glock in terms of quality, accuracy, reliability, concealability, durability, shootability, etc. I like Glocks too, don't get me wrong, but Kahr has them equaled or beat in the compact and subcompact class.

Onslaught

The all-steel Kahrs are top notch quality. I own/have owned 3, and they've all been perfect. Not so for the first polymer Kahr I spent money on, and that's the one you'll read so much negative stuff on here at TFL. If your friend wants the K9 then tell him to go for it. I agree with him, I have never held a more comfortable sub-compact pistol ever.

harrydog

I wouldn't hesitate to get the Kahr. I agree with your friend that the Glock 26 is just uncomfortable for me to hold. The Kahr feels great in my hand, and that's important.
And I think the quality is top notch. I don't think he would wear one out. They were designed around the Cor-Bon +P round, so they are made to handle hot loads.