A private UNDERGROUND range, for cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

navaho

The discussion of buying land where you can have your own personal range was interesting. One solution to this that is considerably cheaper and more convenient than buying a goo-gob of land in a gun-friendly area is to...

build your own UNDERGROUND firing range! :D Seriously.

It's actually very cheap and easy, and you don't need nearly as much land as you would for an above-ground range. And if you make your underground range deep enough, no one will know you have it. What they don't know, they can't complain about....

What you do is rent a back hoe, and buy a bunch of 36" PVC pipe. Get 100 yards, or 200, or however long you want your range to be.

Dig down deep enough so that you have at least four feet of soil above your pipe. Every 10 feet, cut a hole in the pipe, about 8" in diameter. Here's where it gets a little tricky. What you want to end up with is to have lights every 10 feet or so. But you don't want to shoot them by accident. And you want to be able to change the bulbs. So you make the lights be _recessed_ , by attaching smaller "chimney" PVC to your main PVC, and hang the lights down that. The details I leave as an exercise for the reader. ;)

You also need to rig up an electric target system.

And you need ventilation. Have the tubes which hold the lights double as vent holes, and rig up a network of fans, to make sure the air circulates. Draw in fresh air from the shooting end, and expel it out from the ports in the shooting tube.

It's also advisable to build in access hatches every N yards too, in case a target falls off and you need to retrieve it. Or so you can set up tin cans part way down, and do some plinking.

At the end where you're going to be shooting from, dig down below the level of the shooting tube far enough that you can stand up and have the shooting tube at a comfortable height.

You can put a generic tool shed or better yet, your garage, over the entrance. That way if anyone asks about the noise, you can say that you were in your workshop building a birdhouse, or working on your car, or whatever. (The noise will hopefully be muffled by the earth, so the birdhouse story might actually work).

There's actually a guy who did this in the vehemently anti-gun Silicon Valley CA area (Monte Sereno), and he gets away with it. Then again, he lives in a $15,000,000 house, so maybe he just "supports" the local politicans and Sheriff during their election campaigns, and in turn they look the other way.

There's also several guys in Colorado that have done this. They implied that it was actually relatively common in their area.

-----

On a related note, for those of you with teenage kids that like to play music REALLY LOUD, one really cool solution I saw (in a movie, but it looked feasible!) is to build them an underground club house in the back yard.

This time, instead of using a 36" PVC pipe, you actually get one of those HUGE concrete pipes, that are 8 feet in diameter. Get it about 15 feet long, with a manhole-sized hatch in it. Seal the ends of the pipe, rent a backhoe, and bury it in your back yard. You should actually be able to do this on a standard 60'x100' lot! I don't know about zoning, but from a mechanical point of view it would fit.

Rig up electricity (for the stereo, electric guitar, or whatever), build a floor, put in a couch, and rig up a lighting system. The top of the pipe will be about four feet below ground, and you'll need to install a pipe with a ladder mounted in it so that his son and his friends could climb down through the manhole, into the club house.

Oh yea, don't forget to add ventilation ;)

With the price of electronics as low as they are now, you can also install a discreet closed-circuit camera if you want to keep tabs on your kids. Run the video feed back to the TV in your room. When they ask how you knew they were smoking pot down there, you can just tell them that you smelled it. Parents have superhuman senses.

Keiller TN

Good info, navaho.

I have thought of using the crawl space under my house as a target area. The noise, of course would be a problem.

M1911

You should also consider that you will be contaminating your house with lead and other chemicals. The primer compound contains lead, which is put into aerosol form when you fire the gun. I'd love to have my own private range, but it wouldn't be attached to my home.

M1911

Bogie

So, what does PVC that big around cost?

1) You don't need lights, except at the target.

2) You just need access to change the target. Could be a 2nd outbuilding.

ds1973

Interesting!!

I have thought about how to set up an underground range when I get myself a house but I hadn't thought about the PVC setup. Very interesting!

M1911, you'd want to set up a closed room with filtered exhaust if this was connected to your house. I'm sure there's info out there as to the type of filters used by indoor ranges.

Also, I didn't see navaho mention anything about a backstop. You'd probably want to consider a backstop that can be accessed and changed to prevent contamination of the surrounding soil. I saw an "indoor backstop" for target practice on an episode of American shooter. I think it can stop up to a .308 rifle slug. That's when I began thinking about how I'd design an "under the house" range.

Hey, here's the web page from American Shooter.

http://www.americanshooter.com/guntech/default.asp?invoice_id=&unique_id=

Click on the Saturday, Sept 30 2000 episode.

Here's the company web site:

http://www.shootingrangeproducts.com/

A fellow citizen of the small town in Oregon in which I formerly lived filed an application for a building permit for just such a range. He was going to use concrete pipe and put in a 50 foot underground pistol range. Imagine the uproar when it was discovered that his request was perfectly legal. The city council immediatly passed a law preventing the casting, flipping, shooting, flinging, or tossing of any projectile within the city limits. I think spitting is a felony.

Keiller TN

M1911

Thanks for the caution. I'm not too serious about the range under my house, but if I did do it, then ventilation would be important.

Sid K

Depending on where you are located your biggest problem with an underground range could well be drainage. Make sure you have somewhere for the ground water and rain to go or you'll end up with a giant fishbowl.

I wouldn't worry too much about lead contamination if you have it contained within one area. A nice thing about an enclosed ranged (most were built above ground) is that you never have to figure out wind. Talk about perfect environmental controls (absent consistent temperature or humidity).

Get a permit for a tornado Shelter

Call it a tornado shelter with a remote exit and natural ventilation. I expect you can find a grad student or post doc at Texas Tech to design one for you. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/nwi/research/DebrisImpact/

Many of us have shot pistols in our basements without asking anyone.

"We are a Republican government. Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy." - Alexander Hamilton

KeillorTN said:
I have thought of using the crawl space under my house as a target area. The noise, of course would be a problem.
I've considered that, too, but the stumbling block is the ventilation. I don't want a bunch of lead-saturated dust accumulating under my living quarters.

mete

Out in CO there was a pipe range near the gunsmithing school but it took only a few shots to start turbulence problems so I gave up going there
I wonder if the NRA has info on pipe ranges , regarding lead ?

g.willikers

I remember reading about someone making one under their driveway.
Can't imagine the effect of concussion and pollutants with an underground range.
It sounds expensive and complicated, too.
Handy, though.
Might be a good idea for airguns.
But then again, using a basement crawl space would be easier for that.

Ricklin

I had one, and never used it

I worked in Bend OR back in the late 80's. Our company was growing fast, and we leased a building across town for temporary expansion while our new plant was being built.
There was a "closet" in my office, with a set of stairs going down. Out of curiosity I went down the stairs, and lo and behold find an underground range!

I then learned our landlord was Nosler, and the building was their old factory.

Never fired a round there. Just never had the time to do so. It appeared the range was fully functional. When I did have some time we moved to our new factory.

50 shooter

Why not buy a couple 50ft containers and bury them end to end? Heck, if you have the space you can bury as many as you want it long. It will be faster to set up and the only cement you'll need will be for the foundation.

You can run all your power and ventilation lines and then bury it. As long as your neighbors don't get nosy, no one will ever know it's there. If someone does see it and asks, just tell them you're building a doomsday shelter...

Those containers are built to last forever, rust actually protects the steel from rotting out. Call around and compare the cost of building a concrete box over a steel container. Look around on the net and see how other people have built underground anything with used containers. You'll be surprised how many things you can do with those containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.