A Pistol Grip Browning Short Trac?

joshua

If Browning puts a pistol grip stock on the Bar model I wonder if it would sell. Something like this maybe?
attachment.php

I was messing around with Photoshop and made a mock up. Wouldn't be a bad deal, then maybe the can put a heavy flutted barrel and make it all look tacticool. I'd buy one. Am I crazy? Come on Doc tell me.... josh

Attachments

• browning shrt trac pistol grped sm.jpg
    browning shrt trac pistol grped sm.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 339

Big-Foot

I'd love to have a pistol grip .308 ShortTrac, if that grip was on a bullpup stock. Someday I'll build one using these for molds. You can barely make out the scope rails in the pics.

From the left. Mini-14, Ruger 10-22, BAR 30/06, Law 12 semi auto 12 ga, Savage bolt action.

Attachments

• Stocks.jpg
    Stocks.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Mini-14 and Bar.jpg
    Mini-14 and Bar.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Mini-14.jpg
    Mini-14.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 27

joshua

Big Foot, where did you get those from? I've always like the compactness of the bullpup design, but I hate the mooshy triggers often encountered with the design. Have you overcome the mooshy triggers? josh

Big-Foot

I carved them last year. They look much more boxy in the photos than they do in person, the camera lens gave them a fish eye curved effect too.

Those bucks split into halves, I will lay the halves up in fiberglass to make molds. I'll then lay those molds up in combinations of s-glass and carbon fiber to make the shells. I'll layup the attatchment points, trigger attatchment points, bedding, etc into the stock halves similar to this bullpup design below. Most of the mushyness of my current bullpup stocks come from the trigger pushrods binding up. These will have pullrods instead, possibly bicycle spokes for adjustment, this could lead to a sloppy trigger so I'll have to keep the tolerences close on all pivot points.

Since I took these photos last year I decided to make all of the stocks the same length, 25" including recoil pads, just because the stocks look more balanced that way. The Mini and the 10-22 will be just over 26" and the others will be 31-33" long. That BAR should be one heck of a woods rifle at just over 7 lbs scoped.

The whole point is to have all of my long guns to feel the same for instinctual pointing. Every time I shoot the 10-22 or especially the 12 ga on moving targets it trains the muscles as to where the gun is pointing. It could be argued that a bullpup isnt neccessary for a hunting gun, even a woods rifle, but I decided that the defensive rifles should be bullpups so that decision made the point moot.

Attachments

• Pullrod Trigger.jpg
    Pullrod Trigger.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 28

joshua

Big Foot, that's sounds like a real project you got there. Do you make molds and prototype for a living? I've always wanted to make my own stock and then maybe a boat. :D Please don't forget to post your finished product, even better if you do a step by step progression from start to finish with pictures. Josh