A new Pennsylvania deer rifle

Wyosmith

Ahh come on 303! It's still a gun.
That's what its for!

Look at it this way. This rifle cost FAR less than a new car.

If you spend $28,000 on a car you will still drive it to the store. In a while it probably will have a few shopping cart dings in it and have some miles behind it, and the value will drop to about 10% of what you paid in 10 years.

One of my rifles can be used, and as long as you take some care of it, it goes up in value not down.
At costs between $3000 and $5000 per rifle they are way cheaper than a car. If you drive the car, use the rifle! In 10 years this rifle will be worth 2 times more than your 10 year old car.
I take great pains to make sure they are reliable and accurate. I'd feel bad if I did all that work and the rifle went unused.

Make venison with them! That's why they exist.

And Thanks Hawg.
:)

Admirable work. I took wire inlay from Schippers at Connor Prarie and will be taking it under Jack Brooks. Everyone teaches something different and I'm hoping to learn another approach.

deerslayer303

I can't really argue with that Wyosmith, but still, it took a LONG time for me to haul anything in the bed of the last new truck I bought[emoji3] Beautiful work! You definitely are not just building rifles you are building heirlooms.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wyosmith

:D
Well that is OK 303. If we take care of our toys they do tent to last longer.

Just like our bodies, but like our toys our bodies get older. At 60 I find that I can't do all I did when I was 30 or even 50.
Oh well...... at least I am having fun. By doctor and my wife say I am doing better than most 60 year old's, so for that I am thankful.

4V50, I have been doing wire work for a long time. The process is fairly simple in principal, but the execution is not always so easy. The best tip I can give you is to use good wood on any stock you intend to do wire on. The steaming process is what will grab the wire and if the wood is soft it expands well, but it doesn't have a lot of strength so the wire can work its way out. Hard wood is far better to use than softer wood. Pull your wire across the edge of a file to give it "teeth" so the wood can hold it.
Here are a few I did many years ago.

If you'd like to talk over gunsmithing tips, please PM me and we can exchange phone numbers.

Your rifle is a thing of beauty. Having a 2 or 3 rifle brace of them in a etched glass traditional style gun cabinet would be assume. Oh so much admiring attention they would receive.
I wonder:
How come B/P gun builders put all their skill, effort & outstandingly beautiful art work into their making of flint lock rifles & pistols and so anything into cap lock firearms. Are cap locks considered the (Red Headed Step Child) by B/P weapons builders? {Just curious is all}

Wyosmith

Well no, I make cap-lock rifles too. In fact I am making a Bedford County cap-lock 40 cal rifle right now. It will be for sale soon.

Most people want a flint lock when they make the jump to the custom rifle, but not all. I just make what my customers ask for.

Here are some cap-lock rifles I have made.

Bishop Creek

I have owned both custom built flintlock and percussion rifles, but yours are in a class by themselves. Beautiful work Wyosmith.

Hawg

I wouldn't call it gaudy. Civilian guns during the flintlock era were often elaborately carved and inlaid. I like that Gemmer Hawken too.

Wyosmith

Occasionally I have made a highly decorated cap-lock rifle, but I try to stay within the bounds of tradition at least loosely.
The fact is that the best art work done on American rifles was done in the period from 1765 to 1810. Those were the days of the flintlock.
Now some very fancy rifles were made in the later years, so there is nothing wrong with making one, but very well done art on cap-locks were just were not as commonly made as fancy flinters. I am making a decorated Bedford caplock rifle now, and it is going to be quite nice, but not as detailed in its decorations as this one was.
Another thing we see in museums today are super fancy rifles that were made as flintlocks that were converted to cap lock in the 1830-1860 period. So again, it's perfectly OK to make such guns. It just that I don't get asked to do it very often