a new gun?

TCman

I have ran into a little money and would like a new gun. I have an 870, 10/22, 30-06, and a sks. What do you guys think a good gun would be? Im lookin at the 500$ price range. What bout a cetme?

gak

A nice lever is missing from your fleet. How about a nice Marlin or Win in .30-30 or .44 Mag, or Rossi (EMF, Navy Arms, LSI) in .45 LC, .357 or .44 Mag (the latter only in EMF, LSI) or Marlin .45-70. Also in this range, an Auto Ord/Kahr M1 Carbine.

gak

No, I have handled but not shot--it seemed a decent piece. It's nice to see as of this past year A/O has made walnut available as an option as well as getting rid of the cheap looking metal handguard--making it a more charming/desirable piece. I have two GI Inlands and I do not think anything (anyone is likely going to make) that's a clone is not going to trump it, but other than a nice original GI, I think it's a good way to go. Quite frankly I have contemplated the A/O-Kahr just to keep actual use of the GIs down and I think at its price the new gun would fill the bill very nicely for camp and hd/sd, plinking duty. I do regret that, ironically, in A/O's zeal to make "more authentic/original" this past year they got went a step too far to the earlier (vs mid/late war) bolt and non-(windage)/non-protected flip sight--and would exhort them to make a late war variation (1943 on) that offered the optimum/latest of all features. They already had these aspects as well as the late war (or post-war refit) bayonette lug in their first/earlier rendition; all I wanted them to get rid of was the damn metal handguard and add walnut--they listened to half!

Last edited:

tINY

Lever action - either a 30-30 mod 94 or a 92 in 357 mag.

-tINY

Last edited:

kozak6

The problem with the CETME's is that they are assembled by monkeys.

The older chimps, they can put a pretty good rifle together.

The younger ones, though, don't.

Seriously, though, quality control is very spotty. Some CETME's have some rather severe problems, while others work perfectly and shoot 1.5 moa with surplus ammo right out of the box.

I think you need a pistol or two.

Glennster

You really ought to consider an M1 Garand. It's a great piece of history, they are one of the greatest rifles ever built. You could find one for sale here or get one through the CMP.
Once you shoot the Garand, you'll be spoiled, it's a special rifle, it's hard to explain, there's just nothing else like the Garand!!!
The only down side is that it would take you a little over your budget, but is is a very good investment.
Food for thought............

timothy75

I also think you need some pistols but if your a diehard rifleman the 223 is a great round and the Mini14 is a great rifle. Equally suited to outdoor activities as well as indoor its a very versatile rifle and within your price range. Good luck

TCman

Well I was going to get a CZ75bd but my mom shot thst idea down. My dad has a win 94. I have a stainless/syn TC Omega but wat about a all camo one? Or a savage smokeless powder muzzleloader?